Ducks and chickens living together

I have 27 hens, 2 roosters, 4 Indian runners. I have 10 more female runners coming tomorrow because 3 if my 4 turned out to be drakes. They all live together in a 20x20 coop with a 25x40 fenced run. I think I will be adding a duck house for the ducks because they are a bit messy inside. I have a dumb question. My hens have started laying and I'm getting about 7-10 eggs of various sizes and colors every day. The nesting boxes are up high. I'm pretty sure my runner has not started to lay eggs because the eggs I find on the coop floor are brown. I never know who is laying eggs and who isn't. How will I know when my duck will lay one? I have found very large eggs in the nesting boxes but I'm pretty sure my ducks can't get up there and the eggs are brown. My chickens and runners are about 5 months old now.

Last edited:
I have 27 hens, 2 roosters, 4 Indian runners. I have 10 more female runners coming tomorrow because 3 if my 4 turned out to be drakes. They all live together in a 20x20 coop with a 25x40 fenced run. I think I will be adding a duck house for the ducks because they are a bit messy inside. I have a dumb question. My hens have started laying and I'm getting about 7-10 eggs of various sizes and colors every day. The nesting boxes are up high. I'm pretty sure my runner has not started to lay eggs because the eggs I find on the coop floor are brown. I never know who is laying eggs and who isn't. How will I know when my duck will lay one? I have found very large eggs in the nesting boxes but I'm pretty sure my ducks can't get up there and the eggs are brown. My chickens and runners are about 5 months old now.

I thought my duck couldn't get to where the chucks were laying but she bloody well was! You'd be surprised where ducks can get to on the quiet!!

That said, the duck in question is a special case and none of my other ducks would go to that much trouble.

So it's likely that your chucks are laying in the boxes and your ducks are laying on the ground.
The only real way to find out is to spend a lot of time out with them and collect as they lay - by doing this I know who each of my eggs belongs to.

Hi guys thank you for all the replies any particular breed you recommend ? Any other info on ducks and their care greatly welcomed!! Thanks again

Here is the duckling care sticky

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Ducks can eat the same food as chickens BUT as young they have higher niacin needs so you need either to add supplement to make chick starter have higher, or use a broiler starter or a flock raiser/all flock or a duck starter.

As for breeds totally depends on what you want from ducks.. i keep bantam right through large waterfowl here... i own 4 breeds.

Thank you when can they go onto normal poultry grower? I would like my ducks to be friendly and a fair layer but it doesn't really matter about laying if I can't get both does anyone have abacot rangers? Do you think the ducks should have a separate house for nighttime? Thanks

Follow the guidelines for chickens in relation to growers.

Personally I'd give them separate houses as ducks are messy and need more ventilation in their coop.

I keep calls, Campbells and a mallard.
All are lovely.
The Campbells are good layers and well tempered.
The calls are noisy!
The mallard is bossy :)

Only to say I hope you don't have a lovely garden as ducks will put an end to it!

Somewhere for swimming will keep your ducks happy; but if you get runner ducks then this is less important.

I have runners, calls and many mixed breeds in between. They all stay tight together on land and water! Mallards drakes in my experience are gang rapists and very aggressive, I avoid them now.

Hi guys ok thanks they will be in a field !! I think I will go for a couple of runners and calls. Would this work?

Back
Top Bottom