Ducks and chickens together?

BecksBirbs

Chirping
Feb 24, 2020
Hello!

Apologies in advance, I am very new at this and I hope I put this in the correct thread.

I'm looking for some advice for my flock. I have 5 hens (4 Ameraucanas and 1 Cochin) and a pair of Pekin Ducks. I got them all as chicks/ducklings at the same time in July, so they are 8 months old. They were raised together and have been inseparable. The hens and the female duck are all laying now, and the two ducks have clearly paired off. They never leave each other's side and they are very flirty.

My problem is that since the hens started laying, the male duck has begun chasing them and forcing himself on them. The chickens won't run away and keep going by the ducks because they love the ducks. I've temporarily separated the ducks from the chickens, but they are all distraught about being separated. I'm very concerned about the safety of the chickens if I allow them to interact with the male duck. The two ducks mate regularly, and it is often initiated by the female, but I'm still wary that he will batter her since she is his only target. (The male duck is not mean to me, he is still my baby.) I don't want to separate the pair of ducks because they are so bonded, but I also don't really want to keep the chickens and the female duck separate because they are bonded as well. I'm not sure what to do. I have enough room to make a completely separate duck zone, and that is the current plan, but I also don't want to torment them by having their flockmates in view but inaccessible. I reeeeeally want to avoid rehoming anyone, but my priorities are their safety and happiness.
Any advice would be most welcome! :love

Keep them separated. Drakes have penises - roosters do not. Drakes mating chicken hens poses the possibility of serious injury, prolapse, or death.
Ok, good to know! Thank you so much for the reply! I've witnessed the male duck's appendage, but I didn't know roosters lacked that. I will keep him separate from the chickens.
Should I keep the female duck with him unless she's getting beaten, or should I put her with the chickens?

The duck hen will probably be happier with the drake. Just monitor to make sure that she is not overmated.
Is there any way to prevent that? Or any signs (other than the obvious- I find her bloodied or something) to look for? Right now, she's just got some thinner feathers on the back of her head.

Is there any way to prevent that? Or any signs (other than the obvious- I find her bloodied or something) to look for? Right now, she's just got some thinner feathers on the back of her head.
More duck hens might help 'spread the love'....if it doesn't, get rid of the drake, you don't need him unless you want to hatch more ducks.
Disclaimer: I've never had ducks, but read about them a lot. :D

When I had ducks & chickens before, I gave my drake 2 hens. Also, I gave them a kiddy pool to go play in, so although they were raised with the chickens & spend much time together, the ducks spend more time in the water where the chickens wouldn’t go. So either 2 hens or water, meant he never tried to breed my chickens. He did keep those hens quite busy though.
These were Ruens, so idk if another breed would be different.

Thanks for all the input so far!
I think our plan is to build a separate duck area adjacent to the chicken run and possibly get a few more female Pekins.
The duck housing needs are different enough from the chickens that I think separating them might be the way to go. It might have been wishful thinking on my part that they would automatically live in flawless harmony if they were raised together lol.
Hopefully adding more ducks doesn't cause all new problems, but that's what I've been hearing most: Zira needs more girls among which he can spread his affections. I'll take any advice on how to best introduce new females to the established pair of ducks.
I think as some of you mentioned, once it gets warm and there is a whole yard and pond to play in, I think they can all free range together. Right now, it's cold with 2ft of snow and they prefer staying in the run. So I have bored and cooped up (ha!) teenagers turning on each other for entertainment.
That said, I can't work on major construction until thaw, so for now I have partitioned the run and coop to keep the ducks in their own area. Less room for everyone and not ideal, but I think better than hoping no one gets injured until spring.
The first day of separation went ok. The chickens were clearly looking for the ducks, and the ducks seemed upset about being blocked off, but I saw no signs of roughing up on the female duck. I guess I will watch them carefully and let them outside sans chickens as often as weather permits so they don't have to be so confined until they get their new house.

Here are my ducks from earlier this winter. (Before all the snow!)

Attachments

• IMG_20200114_205444_976.jpg
    IMG_20200114_205444_976.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom