Ducks and Chickens Together?

ekofke201

Songster
10 Years
Dec 27, 2011
Southern PA
I am thinking about adding ducks to the mix around here. Probably not until next year so that my husband keeps his sanity.
thumbsup.gif

Can I keep the ducks in with the chickens? Will they be happy in the coop with them at night?

I intend to free range everyone during the day. We have a bit of property and a creek. Will they come home at dusk like the chickens? Are they going to swim up the creek and never return?

Any thoughts here would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, you should be able to keep your ducks in with your chickens. They should be fine together, the ducks will probably sleep on the floor, I do not think they use a roost..but they might!!

They will come home like the chickens, if not they are very easy to herd so they can be herded in everytime, if you have to.

About the creek..I would not think so. Down here in the Texas Panhandle we don't have too many creeks, the creek you have there would be considered a river here. The only water my ducks have to swim in is a kitty pool. However, I wouldn't think they'd go swimming off and never come back. If you handle your ducklings alot when they are little they will be very tame and will probably not roam far. However, I have not really free ranged ducks befores so I could be wrong. : )

~ Aspen

Do the ducks need water in the coop/run beyond the chicken waterer? It looks like they wouldn't be able to clean their beaks in there. It does seem possible that the chickens would drown in anything else I left in there...

I have ducks and chickens. I also have a creek and a private pond on 23 acres. My ducks spend all day at the pond and in the creek. They do come back and sleep in the hen house with the chickens.

When you get them, you may want to confine them to the hen house before turning them lose, just so they know where the food is and where home is. After they are acclimated, let them out. They will find the creek and spend most of their time there, but they will come back to the hen house for food and to sleep.

I have my ducks and chickens together. They have the feeder and waterer in the coop and a couple kiddie pools outside. One is in the run one is in the yard. We have 2 acres and free range everyone all day, they never go very far from the coop and everyone goes inside when it gets dusk.

Just be aware that keeping them together means there is the potential to pass diseases between them.

Your chicken waterer should be put at a higher elevation to the duck water of it is out of reach of the ducks.

If it is a chicken hen and male ducks then it will kill her. Separate them asap if that is the case. If it is 2 drakes and a duck not such a big issue. Ducks need to outnumber the drakes 5-1.

Back
Top Bottom