Ducks and Chickens Together??

They just freeze over at some point...I try to break the water up as much as possible, but when it's subfreezing for extended periods of time, as with this winter, it's impossible to stay ahead of it...However, overall, they were accessible more than they weren't and when they aren't, they always have FRESH water buckets we fill every morning and night for them...

The hose doesn't even work here in the winter though. Sounds like I'd have to have a barn with running water to keep ducks happy through the winter. My coop is about 20 yards away from the house. Not sure how I could get that much water out to them even if it was going to freeze by the end of the day.

Or would they be happy enough with buckets?

The hose doesn't even work here in the winter though. Sounds like I'd have to have a barn with running water to keep ducks happy through the winter. My coop is about 20 yards away from the house. Not sure how I could get that much water out to them even if it was going to freeze by the end of the day.

Or would they be happy enough with buckets?
Hoses don't work in winter here either and duck coop is 30-35yds from house, we use a 6gal container(weighs 50lbs when full, VERY rare does it need to be full, [8lb/gal for reference])for duck water that I fill up in spare bathroom bathtub and just carry in chicken waterers when they freeze...

When we know it'll freeze before they drink it all, we only need to take out a few gallons a couple of times a day...I personally don't like carrying waterers in so I'll refill the container and thaw and refill frozen waterers outside...My wife won't lift it full, she can, but no need, so if I know she'll need it, I'll fill it and carry it down for her, once she starts to unload it she can move it easily...I'm trying to rig a 'wagon' up that can carry about 10gals of water and a few buckets of feed around for her...Right now, I'm that wagon!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom