Ducks and chickens?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Savanna’s chickens, Jun 21, 2018.

1. TSOWOATNKC

TSOWOATNKC Songster

Jun 11, 2018
    I’m sure that would be great. How many waterfowl?

2. Savanna’s chickens

Savanna’s chickens Chirping

May 20, 2018
    Not sure.. I’d probably start with 5 like I did with chickens... but most likely expand edventually

3. Savanna’s chickens

May 20, 2018
    I’ve been researching flock raiser feed and I’ve notice it’s significantly more expensive it won’t be a major problem if not but is just chicken feed okay or maybe put half duck half chicken feed in the feeders or would I have to just get the flock raiser :lau:gig

4. shawluvsbirds

shawluvsbirds "FAKE EILLEEN"

Apr 17, 2017
    Missouri
    I personally wouldn't want to have chickens and ducks housed together, but I do know a lot of people do that with some success. :confused:
    If your going to house them together, I don't think I would provide swimming water in the run.
    Not sure but I think a chicken could drown couldn't it?
    And the amount of water they will splash out will make a very damp environment for your chickens.
    If you have a drake that is happy with its lady friends it would hopefully leave your chickens alone. . but if it took a notion to breed one of your hens it could be disastrous :hmm
    They do not have to swim every single day but it sure makes them happier.
    They do however need water deep enough to wash their heads eyes and snares. So bear in mind most chicken waterers don't work well in that regard.
    An all flock feed would be the best choice for feeding a mixed flock, but it will cost more than buying chicken scratch or layer pellets, which aren't the best things to feed ducks. Lots of people do just feed their ducks layer pellets. .and that may be ok. but it's not really formulated specifically for what ducks need so you could run into nutritional problems if you go that route, Plus it's not really healthy for a drake to have the extra calcium.
    Whew. . ok that's all I got. :lol:

Soon2BChixMom likes this.
  5. TSOWOATNKC

TSOWOATNKC Songster

Jun 11, 2018
    Purina Flock Raiser is roughly the same cost as chick feed around here. All Flock is actually a bit cheaper for me than regular laying feed and such. We use Country Feeds All Flock. My local farm supply had them $3 off a bag recently, so I bought 2 50lb bags for $12 each! Woo-hoo! With 12 chickens, 16 ducks, 3 geese eating we go through a bag every 9 days or so. My ducks and geese actually prefer grass over feed.

6. Savanna’s chickens

May 20, 2018
    For us it’s about 40$ more expensive! Or maybe I’m not looking the right places!

7. TSOWOATNKC

TSOWOATNKC Songster

Jun 11, 2018
    I go to a store called Coastal in Mount Vernon WA state for all flock exclusively. I pick up Flock Raiser at Coastal, or Country Store. I’ve never bought from my local Tractor because the one closest to me is rather dinky.

8. Savanna’s chickens

May 20, 2018
    Maybe get the coop wet but idk about drowning friends of my dads have them together and the chickens will sit on the edge of their pond and drinks it they have a brick inside so ducks can come out easier

shawluvsbirds likes this.
  9. Savanna’s chickens

May 20, 2018
    I was looking on amazon just to get a good idea of prices I’ll check the feed store next time I’m in

10. TSOWOATNKC

TSOWOATNKC Songster

Jun 11, 2018
    My chickens have free ranged out of their coop, but in the larger enclosure. No one has drown. Chickens are stupid, but not quite that stupid. The problem we had was the chickens kept trying to pick at the geese, and that was a fight they had zero chance of winning.

shawluvsbirds likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: