Ducks and chickens?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Savanna’s chickens, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Savanna’s chickens

Savanna’s chickens Chirping

May 20, 2018
    Ok GOOD I was worried for a bit

2. shawluvsbirds

shawluvsbirds "FAKE EILLEEN"

Apr 17, 2017
    Missouri
    The all flock i use is about 13$ a bag. I think you can buy layer pellets for about 8 or 10 $ so the price diff here isn't astronomical. I've yet to see a duck only feed in my area but I know it exists. That's probably the 50$ stuff. :)

3. shawluvsbirds

Apr 17, 2017
    Missouri
    :lau Well you never know. :old the duck might have a hold my beer and watch this moment and push the chicken in :gig

4. TSOWOATNKC

TSOWOATNKC Songster

Jun 11, 2018
    Oh! Don’t make this mother of eight laugh so hard! Cruelty! I have just 1 hour of quiet time a night, and my laughter woke the baby!
    :lau:lol::duc

Because I could totally envision our ducks and geese doing that!

shawluvsbirds likes this.
  5. shawluvsbirds

Apr 17, 2017
    Missouri
    Sorry :idunno
    Ducks are sneaky i can totally envision it happening ;)

6. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens

Jan 8, 2017
    Where are you looking? Tsc carries purina flock raiser and it is about $3 more than chicken feed.

7. Soon2BChixMom

Jan 8, 2017
    It isn't a problem, but then you would definitely need to add niacin to the Ducks food which will be an added cost. Chicken feed does not have enough niacin in it for ducks.
    Purina flock raiser has just enough niacin for ducks. But, even then some ducks require a bit more if you see leg problems and such. You can read through the duck forum here and see all the posts about leg problems. Most are due to needing more niacin.
    How many chickens do you currently have and what feed are they on?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  8. Soon2BChixMom

Jan 8, 2017
    I have ducks and chickens 4 of each. I keep their areas separate. Ducks like a wet environment and chickens like a dry environment. My birds are not free ranged, so they have to deal with whatever artificial set up that I make for them.
    Chicks can drown for certain - full sized chickens could if they can't get out if the water. For that matter, ducklings can also drown.
    I have a kiddie pool that I dump every other day, but provide fresh water daily in 3 other vessels.
    Ducks need access to water deep enough to stick their head in. Any time they have food, water has to be present as they eat and then swish with water. Their water gets mucky almost as soon as you put it out. ;)
    Ducks need extra niacin for proper growth. An all flock feed that shows a duck on the bag or specifically states that it is made for ducks (as well as other poultry) should have the proper amount of niacin.
    Otherwise, you are going to need to supplement it.
    Here is the duck sticky topic with lots of info for duck owners. It is a great place to start researching ducks.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ducks-sticky-topics-index.256233/

shawluvsbirds likes this.
  9. Savanna’s chickens

Savanna’s chickens Chirping

May 20, 2018
    the last 3 years my 5 girls were on layer but a predator got in now we have 3 adults sand the rest are still on starter crumbles

10. Soon2BChixMom

Jan 8, 2017
    Are they getting oyster shell on the side for the layers?
    Starter crumble would be ok for ducklings, but then you would need to supplement with niacin.

Farmer Connie likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: