Ducks and Chickens

caseyrocksit

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 20, 2014
I have 3 pekins that Ive had since ducklings....and moved them from California all the way to South Carolina! On our property we built a 2500 sq foot poultry yard and also bought 10 pullets and one rooster! Theres a coop in the poultry yard... a lil pool and an open nesting box made from a door frame with roofing over it for shelter for the ducks. So since having my new chickens and ducks all in the yard together... its like Im the referee trying to keep the bullys on theyre own side of the playground ...and the ducks are the bullys! When im in the poultry yard , my chickens run to me and hang out around me foraging. But when I leave the yard... the ducks chase all the chickens under neath the coop and guard the area not letting them out!!
Any one have advice or input on what i can do ? I cant just hang out in the poultry yard all day!!!

try to scream and run at the ducks when there chasing the chickens worked with my duck chasing my ducklings. tho i really don't like chickens lol.

Lol Wilber , I cracked up reading this because it's exactly what I do ! However I do like my chickens and starting to not like my ducks ! Not a good feeling. I don't want to resent my ducks ! But there's a whole size of a house for my poultry yard and they think the whole thing belongs to them ! Frustrating

Well a few days after I posted this I came up with a solution! I gated off a small corner of the poultry yard so now they have to share they're mini studio on the corner! On top of that.. This last molting season, they're tail feathers all came out !! I have 3 drakes!! Explains why I'm not getting any eggs .. Anyway ... I plan on harvesting them when this bag of feed runs out!! So that fixes that !!

Back
Top Bottom