Mixing my chickens with other birds - Safety and health concerns.

Melko

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2023
I'm planning on building a an expansion to my current 16'x8' run, a connection to a 40'x25' (1000sqft) space. HC all sides, netted on top.

I'll post the plans soon, just to give a clearer idea of the run/aviary

With that I'm planning on increasing the size of my flock with new breeds (Chicken maths got me).
I also want to add some variety to the birds in the new segment, but I'm concerned over health and safety - of my chickens and the coming birds.
From what I heard:
Parrots, I've preemptively crossed-out since they can chew on HC and wood.
Turkeys, far too big and will bully the chickens. Also there a disease concern.
Pigeons, I  really wanted to raise pigeons but apparently they're too dumb for their own good and will get attacked/killed by the chickens.
Ducks (waterfowl in general), I like ducks but providing a pool/pond for them is a concern for me.
Quail, I've been warned they can carry diseases that kill chickens.

If anyone has experience with these birds, I'd appreciate any input and feedback.

Last edited:
. I have turkeys and I am u able to say I dislike them. Came up with a "hug a turkey tuesday" Anyway as far as disease wise. I purchased 6 white turks from TSC and all of them died. I had been told that turks are unable to be raised with chickens. Supposedly there is something in the chickens gut, comes out in the poop, that will infect a younger turk. I heard you have to keep them separated until a certain age. So I figured that was what killed em. purchased 3 grown hens and a tom. I hatched scottie from a hen in my flock,and he has been raised with chickens. Right now he is my "brooder" till he gets too big and he's great, as are the other turks I released 2 free range. If I'm doing something in the yard the turks have 2 check it out and tell me what I'm doing wrong. Turks are very very hateful when they breed. The only time mine are mean to the chickens is when a rooster needs an attitude adjustment

. I also have ducks with no pond, but 4 kiddie pools and they are very messy creatures. They also have odd "clicks" like teenagers. Mine separated into a couple groups whenever released to free range. They are protective of their hens as far as predators go and the hens are very very protective over their nests. They hiss @ me when I get close 2 their nest. Ducks are very fun to watch waddle around the yard.

Also raise countrix and button quail. So what's your plans for your flock? "Pets"? Just wondering?
They're mostly pets, but if they plan on dropping me a few eggs in the morning I'm not gonna argue.
Not raising them for sale or meat production.

They're mostly pets, but if they plan on dropping me a few eggs in the morning I'm not gonna argue.
Not raising them for sale or meat production.
That why I asked about the quail. My buttons are pets. The buttons are, from my experience harder to raise. Their eggs are the size of dime and whenever I hatch them I have to keep them from drowning themselves. Once I got the hang of it raising them was less stressful . And honestly I always heard that chickens could get quail sick...not the other way around. The quail are my song birds. The countrix are much louder. I keep both breeds of quail seperate from the other poultry. The countrix are much bigger so we have "wild holidays". Slaughter some for family get togethers.

Back
Top Bottom