Ducks and crows

Space land

Chirping
Sep 17, 2019
I have three adult ducks (1 pekin and 2 khaki Campbells), and I did have 6 pekin ducklings which were about 6 weeks old. 1 of the 6 was born with either a heart problem or respiratory problem as it was very sleepy to begin with and could never squeak or quack, high respiratory rate, so it was probably about a third of the size of the others. I decided last week to put them in paddock with adult ducks to enjoy pond and grass. I thought the little one would be alright since it was a lot bigger than a newly hatched duckling. I came back after an hour and found it headless with no insides. I had seen the crow hanging around when I first left but thought it would be big enough. Anyway the other 5 are pretty much as big as the khaki Campbell’s and yesterday I found one had it’s eye pecked out and a hole just above it’s beak down to bone... it seems alright now, I hope it will be ok. I’ve got them locked up but I don’t understand why the other 3 are fine but it keeps going after the large ducklings. Every time I turn my back it’s back over there.

Crows didn’t kill it but came in for the feast after I am thinking they are opportunist. Sounds like mink or weasel or in that family depending on the part of the world you in. Or do you have snapping turtles? They will feast on young ducklings and even adults. Very sorry for your loss and hope this little one makes full recovery.

Last edited:
Sorry I should have mentioned I’m in Australia, so what we have is called an Australian raven but everyone just says crow. They’re probably basically the same as everyone else’s ravens or crows. We don’t have any other animals that could do this. Only predators here are foxes, dogs, cats, eagles, hawks, snakes... crows. Although i didnt see it happen it is always watching from a distance when im there and when I come to check because the ducks are going crazy I see it fly up away from them. They also are known to take eyes out of sheep stuck in fences here. Theres nothing else here that could drill a hole into forehead.

Crows didn’t kill it but came in for the feast after I am thinking they are opportunist. Sounds like mink or weasel or in that family depending on the part of the world you in. Or do you have snapping turtles? They will feast on young ducklings and even adults. Very sorry for your loss and hope this little one makes full recovery.
When I say pond I actually mean puddle... we made it very shallow so our children won’t drown in it. So definitely no turtles

Sorry I should have mentioned I’m in Australia, so what we have is called an Australian raven but everyone just says crow. They’re probably basically the same as everyone else’s ravens or crows. We don’t have any other animals that could do this. Only predators here are foxes, dogs, cats, eagles, hawks, snakes... crows. Although i didnt see it happen it is always watching from a distance when im there and when I come to check because the ducks are going crazy I see it fly up away from them. They also are known to take eyes out of sheep stuck in fences here. Theres nothing else here that could drill a hole into forehead.
Yikes! I don't think I'd put those ducklings out in that paddock anymore until they are full grown.

Yikes! I don't think I'd put those ducklings out in that paddock anymore until they are full grown.
They are not very far off full grown! I think it may be the baby noise they sometimes still make that calls it in. I’m worried the same thing will happen in a few weeks still! Do crows like shiny things if i hang some up? I know some birds hate and some birds like. I think it’s probsbly too smart though

They are not very far off full grown! I think it may be the baby noise they sometimes still make that calls it in. I’m worried the same thing will happen in a few weeks still! Do crows like shiny things if i hang some up? I know some birds hate and some birds like. I think it’s probably too smart though
Crows are extremely smart! Did you know they can recognize and remember people? I know some people string CD's in their garden to scare the crows away but like with everything after a while they figure it out and don't care anymore. You have probably seen scarecrows with crows sitting on top of them. Just like the owl decoys people put on their boats to keep the gulls from crapping all over them. It works for a minute but then they get smart.

you can order some predator tape and hang it up all around your area. Amazon has it and I know @Miss Lydia uses it in her yard.

I personally don't really trust anything but netting over the top but I realize not everyone can do that. I don't let my 11 ducks free range at all. I've got too many critters that want to make a dinner out of them.

Back
Top Bottom