Ducks and dogs

Well, just checked on the animals a few minutes ago. I see my dog has settled in for the night in one of the open brooding pens. She has company again.

37123_sleeping_dog.jpg

Our ducks free range all of the time. I have a 13 year old lab and a year and a half old heeler/lab/pit. My mutt is great with the ducks and the ducks like having him around. They will all follow each other around the yard and he enjoys herding them around. I always had him with me anytime I had to handle the ducks so they became ok with him. Now with my lab for some reason my female duck doesn't like her. Anytime my lab walks next to my female duck the duck starts snapping at her.
lau.gif
My lab is a great hunting dog and loves it, but she is great with our ducks and chickens. I don't worry about my dogs.

All of our friends always bring there dogs everywhere with them and that is when it gets challenging. I don't trust any of my friends dogs and they are all kinds of breeds.

As long as you put a lot of training into them and watch closely for the first few weeks you should be ok. I also trained the "leave it" command to my dogs and that is really the best thing you can do.

Quote:
Thanks duckface. Never had much of a problem with my Great Pyrenees puppy getting along with the ducks. From the beginning she showed classic submissive behavior of an LGD to the hens. Here she is by the coop door while everyone is sleeping. Lousy picture, but you get the point.

37123_guarding.jpg

My dog was great with chickens, but when I got ducks he figured they sounded just like his squeaky toys, and he killed two of them shortly after their arrival.

He has not killed any others since - and I trust him now pretty well with them.

I might get blasted for this, but what I did was hit him with the dead ducks, all the while telling him in no uncertain terms that the ducks were MINE and he could not have them. He respects "MINE" and he knows if it belongs to me or hubby he cannot have it unless we give it to him.

He's a great dog, just had an off day while he learned about duckies.

meri

Mojo Chick'n :

I might get blasted for this, but what I did was hit him with the dead ducks, all the while telling him in no uncertain terms that the ducks were MINE and he could not have them. He respects "MINE" and he knows if it belongs to me or hubby he cannot have it unless we give it to him.

I just do the classic grab and shake by the scruff of the neck while flipping then on to their back and yelling NO!!. Once we make an understanding eye contact, I let her up and ignore her for a while.

I'm sure you didn't hurt your dog. Sounds like it worked for you.​

Mojo Chick'n :

meri

I have actually heard of that before...Many times.​

My three goldens learned real quick not to chase chickens or ducks. Poor deprived "Bird" dogs. Several harsh NO's and they learned real quick there is NO CHASING CHICKENS OR DUCKS !!!!
rant.gif

Now they will run right through my flock to chase off coyotes, fox, or bobcat.
ya.gif
They still chase rabbits, squirrels and quail as well. Funny part is, they like going nose to beak with the muscovy's. Doesn't bother the ducks anymore either. I now have 100% trust and don't have to monitor them at all.

We recently adopted a nearly 4 year old pit bull. She is wonderful with our children, I have never encountered a better behaved dog with children and we love her very much. With our ducks, however, she is a nightmare. Her prey drive is pretty high, but we are working on it. She hasnt injured any yet but chases every chance she gets. She has learned that the cat, who lives in the house with us, is not for eating or chasing. This took several weeks for her to be left alone with Watermelon, but now they actually play together. I think Morgan can learn to not go after the ducks, and we are working on it, I do not think I will ever trust her enough to leave her alone with ducks. But I might be able to have her be in the yard with them while under supervision. We are looking into how to modify her behavior and are also working on "leave it". I so want a dog that can allowed free range over the pasture and be trusted, someday...

Thats how mine are. I have two mini schnauzers. One wants to love and mother thema nd have them in her sights almost 24/7

the other is an older female and waits for the little schnauzer to stop paying attention so she can grab one.

Back
Top Bottom