Ducks and dogs

Quote:
I just do the classic grab and shake by the scruff of the neck while flipping then on to their back and yelling NO!!. Once we make an understanding eye contact, I let her up and ignore her for a while.

I'm sure you didn't hurt your dog. Sounds like it worked for you.

I adore that stoop!d dog
big_smile.png
he's my buddy. I wouldn't harm him by beating him senseless or anything, but I did get the point across. He doesn't bother them at all anymore.

eta - the alternative was to tie him up when he went outside, or lock the ducks up in a pen 24/7 - neither of which held much appeal for me (or them). I figured a little tough love was better than being in jail for duck murder.

meri

Last edited:
I have a Heeler, and she's fine with all the feathered friends. The only problem is the ducks go after her - the male muscovies, and then it becomes a game of let me catch the duck - I've caught her with a duck neck in her mouth "playing" with the duck... she's never hurt one of them, but I have to keep a sharp eye out!

Quote:
I have a large dog, half German Sheperd and half Bullmastiff and altho he hasn't killed the ducks, he occassionally chases them and holds them down. He has pulled feathers out of my Embden. With one bite he could kill them easily, but seems to be playing more than trying to harm them. I do need a shock collar to set him on the right path. Is yours for sale or does someone want to recommend an inexpensive one that works?

Back
Top Bottom