ducks and grapes?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PhoenixPharm, Feb 19, 2016.

1. PhoenixPharm

PhoenixPharm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2014
    I am getting a couple runner ducks this spring and was going to put them in an area where there is a concord grape vine growing. I know grapes are ok, but was just wondering if it is safe for them to eat grapes seeds?

2. Joe Prepper

Joe Prepper Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2013
    South Alabama
    I never thought about it until I saw this post, but I have never had a duck die from eating grapes off the vine. I would imagine free ranges they would not eat enough to harm themselves. Crazy, but animals are alot of times smarter than humans when it comes to free range eating.

1 person likes this.
  3. fourkidsandduck

fourkidsandduck Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Other than a small (very small) choking hazard the seeds pose no risk, just keep water acceptable in case they need something to help wash one down.

4. Fawkes

Fawkes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    I do remember reading somewhere on this forum of someone that gave their duck a grape and they sadly choked to death on it. So if you were actually giving them grapes as a treat I would cut them up, but there isn't much you can do if they find a grape while free ranging...I imagine this isn't a common occurrence though, they should be fine.

1 person likes this.
  5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I slice grapes for mine.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  6. LadyIsadora

LadyIsadora Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    I used to slice grapes for mine. Then I saw them finding snails while free ranging and swallowing some huge ones whole! I used to smash the big ones when I found them but not so much anymore. I think the ducks will be fine foraging for their own grapes ;-)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by