1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

ducks and greens

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by unlucky picker, Nov 7, 2014.

1. unlucky picker

unlucky picker In the Brooder

May 22, 2014
    I have my ducks in a pen. Keeps predictors away. I feed them wild game feed and scratch feed. Have lots of greens. Kale, turnips etc. They love them but can I over feed them greens?

2. chasiekitten12

chasiekitten12 Chirping

Aug 19, 2014
    You can but it is unlikly you will. How old are they? If they are younger than a half year then feed them only what they eat. When they are older then you can feed them a pound of feed/greens each. They may want more give it to them. If they seem to be getting plump then I would give them less. Otherwise give them as much as they want.

3. unlucky picker

May 22, 2014
    Not sure of age. Probably not 6 months yet. They about attack when I go in with greens. Just looks like I could never fill them up with greens even though they have feed. Thanks I feel better letting them have more than I've been giving. I do have some ducks over year but it's my muscovys I was wondering about.

4. chasiekitten12

chasiekitten12 Chirping

Aug 19, 2014
    Well they will be fine and happy. If they do not fill up then you must be there feeding them 24/7. Make sure they still eat the feed though. I would make a little bin with the greens in it so when they run out you do not need to be there and they might eat a bit more feed. But as long as they also eat the feed then feed them as much as they will eat.

5. unlucky picker

May 22, 2014
    Hand feed greens. Our bonding time. I noticed that since I started feeding greens they don't eat all their feed. They have feed 24/7. Easier on the wallet.

6. chasiekitten12

chasiekitten12 Chirping

Aug 19, 2014
    Well as long as they eat some feed.

7. DrMikelleRoeder

DrMikelleRoeder Chirping

Nov 3, 2014
    Yes – ducks love their greens. Greens can also help with getting darker, richer eggs. As you feed your ducks greens, I’d keep the 90/10 rule in mind. 90% of your birds’ diet should come from a complete feed and 10% from treats, scraps, scratch grains, etc. Allowing 90% of the diet to come from a complete feed will help ensure that your birds are receiving all of the essential nutrients they need to maintain their optimal health and production.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: