ducks and greens

unlucky picker

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 22, 2014
I have my ducks in a pen. Keeps predictors away. I feed them wild game feed and scratch feed. Have lots of greens. Kale, turnips etc. They love them but can I over feed them greens?

You can but it is unlikly you will. How old are they? If they are younger than a half year then feed them only what they eat. When they are older then you can feed them a pound of feed/greens each. They may want more give it to them. If they seem to be getting plump then I would give them less. Otherwise give them as much as they want.

Not sure of age. Probably not 6 months yet. They about attack when I go in with greens. Just looks like I could never fill them up with greens even though they have feed. Thanks I feel better letting them have more than I've been giving. I do have some ducks over year but it's my muscovys I was wondering about.

Well they will be fine and happy. If they do not fill up then you must be there feeding them 24/7. Make sure they still eat the feed though. I would make a little bin with the greens in it so when they run out you do not need to be there and they might eat a bit more feed. But as long as they also eat the feed then feed them as much as they will eat.

Hand feed greens. Our bonding time. I noticed that since I started feeding greens they don't eat all their feed. They have feed 24/7. Easier on the wallet.

Yes – ducks love their greens. Greens can also help with getting darker, richer eggs. As you feed your ducks greens, I’d keep the 90/10 rule in mind. 90% of your birds’ diet should come from a complete feed and 10% from treats, scraps, scratch grains, etc. Allowing 90% of the diet to come from a complete feed will help ensure that your birds are receiving all of the essential nutrients they need to maintain their optimal health and production.

Back
Top Bottom