Ducks and Horse

Bisrom

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 10, 2013
Hi
I'm wanting to build a duck pond in my one paddock. Is it possible to have bother horses and ducks walking together?

Then I need advice on the pond it needs to be large as my horses are known to love swimming so they will have access to the water. We also want to have a filter on the water so that it's majority clean. Any seggestions on this.

Yes, mind you some can be a problem with them... my one is a bit silly around them but generally she ignores them(ducks) Personally i wouldn't want my horses in the water with the ducks, since ducks are not well, the cleanest but you say your filtering?

I have no pond here at all, so i cannot offer a suggestion there... my ducks wander in the paddock to "clean" and on occasion steal a bath from the water trough.

My ducks wander in the pasture with my Shire horse. The ducks have actually helped him become less "flighty". At first he wanted nothing to do with them. But now he loves them and even shares his stall with them! (he has indoor/outdoor access 24/7)
Because they make any body of water a mess (though if you only have a handful of ducks a pond should stay fairly clean) I have a 100 gallon water trough with fresh water for my horse. It's high enough off the ground so the ducks can't get into it. That way he always has clean water to drink

I think they will get along fine. I do think that filtration for a pond that size would be beyond expensive. However, I am not an expert. I've heard that once it is large enough you can get certain fish species and such that will help with cleaning the water as well as certain plants. Wild ducks swim on our city lagoon so I think the cleanliness part is more for the humans not the duck IMHO.

Wild ducks swim on our city lagoon so I think the cleanliness part is more for the humans not the duck IMHO.
Quite true but they usually have a good eco system in place to maintain the health of the water and therefore the animals using it. My concern would be the horses being in/drinking water with ducks, again the odd time i have a girl here hop in the water trough but if all my ducks started using the horses source i'd be changing things quick smart, no way would i want them drinking out of it then.
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom