Ducks and winter?

c_soto1990

Crowing
14 Years
May 17, 2009
Chicago,Il
So I had ducks for a few months now and I was wondering what people do for winter? I cant bring them inside and I dont have an insulated coop. Could I buy a dog igloo and keep them inside? I have a cayuga and two runners.

I am in no position to dispense advice however from what I have read they really need protection from the wind and a dry insulated surface for their feet(a hay covered wood floor is my plan). My location gets below zero from time to time but we also get alot of sunshine. I am using a 16sq ft shelter with a roof and good ventilation, in the winter I will place haybales ontop and around the house for insulation.

Ducks are well equipped with heavy, waterproof down coats. They need a wind-resistant shelter with a slip-resistant floor that drains well, but they don't need to be in a heated area. Make sure you have adequate space in whatever housing you choose, as they may spend a lot of time in there in winter. But beyond that, they don't need anything fancy.

Edited to add, for the sake of clarity: My winters are NOT cold, so this is not from personal experience. I will say that even when it snows & ices here, the ducks choose to be outdoors instead of in their cozy straw-lined house. But my advice is based on reading, not personal experience. Just thought I should be clear on that.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Our winters aren't as cold as northern winters but I wrap my Iron duck house with Tyvec in the winter (my duck house is an old iron grate dog box that we put a tin roof on) and keep it well stuffed with hay. However, my goofy ducks preferred to be outside in the cold, they protested every evening when I'd herd them into the house but I felt better knowing they were out of the wind/cold.

Michelle

My dummies would rather sleep in the open cold than in their covered pen half the winter. I had 1 hen that I had to defrost almost every morning...i think she started doing it on purpose after a while, she got quite comfortable in that warm basket.
roll.png

I have two black east indies that made it thought winter w/o a problem. Give em area out of direct wind and so dry bedding and they will do just fine. Remember they need to swim a couple of times a week to keep their coats nice. That will make a big difference. No matter how cold it is, mine want out of coop to swim, ducks are one tough bird, their down and fat can let them take some extreme weather w/o a problem. Mine handle winter so much better than my chickens. Make sure their swimming area is outside the coop so their coop stays dry. jeff

Back
Top Bottom