Ducks and wire floors????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by backyardchickenfarmer, May 16, 2009.

1. backyardchickenfarmer

backyardchickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Toms river, New jersey
    Hello guys, I was wondering, i see people with breeding pens for call ducks and they keep them up on wire with a pool biult into the ground, being that they are breeding pens and only for a short preiod it would be okay for them to be on wire, what about in the long run? I was thinking about getting a pair of call ducks and keeping them on wire for there life time, would that be bad for them?Thanks

2. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Ducks can certainly be raised on wire, says the great Dave Holderread. If that means permanent confinement, however, you must plan on providing them with ample room in the 'cage', since that is the only place they will ever be able to roam about in.

3. OCchickens

OCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    I tried my ducklings in a coop with a wire floor when they were less than 2 weeks old, & one got his little ankle joint stuck in the wire square! Luckily I heard him squawking & rescued him right away.

Prob. would be ok with older ducks.

4. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    I'm under the impression that it's unhealthy for the bottoms of their feet, their legs and beak, but maybe that's just me. [​IMG]

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    According to D. Holderread the author of storey's book on raising ducks and geese. Ducklings and goslings should be on a surface such as wire.

His care sheet that came with my ducklings advised me of that.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  6. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    yes nice coated wire s best, never had a problem with their feet, makes for a much easier brooder.

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I brood mine on wire. I use 1/4" hardware cloth (pretty sure its coated), and have never had a problem. I also put the adults in wire breeding pens in the spring. Make sure that the wire the ducks will be on is small enough so they cant get their feet through.

8. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    Plus always make sure to provide a nesting area with a solid floor and soft fluff. This way they can "rest" their feet. Plus they will be chillin' in the tub most of the time. I'd use tiny hardware cloth that is well supported. Let me find the pic of the one place that I really like the runs...hmmm

here we are...http://www.faithvalleywaterfowl.com/housing.html

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  9. KnightslilAngel

KnightslilAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Milford/Norwalk, CT
    I've always had my ducks on wire. Its easier clean up but more importantly they are less prone to getting foot fungus or problems with their feet.
    Mine are good, happy, and clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by