Ducks are Afraid to go into pond ?

howard

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
NE Alabama
I have one Pekin about 12 weeks old and 9 other ducks 3 of each Rouen, Swedish Blue, & Buff, these are about 5 weeks old

I did have 4 Rouen but one I think was eaten by a snapping turtle in broad daylight and witnessed by the other ducks.

Now they will not go near the water. and I even have to run them out of their house in the mornings.

I was able to catch and eliminate the turtle... but it is sad to see the ducks avoid the water. It was fun to watch them splash and duck and dive.

Will they eventually get over their fear ?

I'd say eventually, that is pretty traumatic to see a turtle! Imagine you swimming in a pool finding a shark or crock laying on the bottom! Ewwww, stay out of the water. Eventually, nature will take over. Put a pan or kiddy pool beside their house and perhaps they will be reminded of how fun it is and swap over to the pond.

Maybe there is more than one turtle.

I know when I worked at a local historical site, their pond was full of turtles and the bird guy would keep traps set for them. He pulled 9 turtles ranging from 6 to 15 inches across the shell in one week.

Tracy

If there was one turtle, there will be more and they love birds that come into the pond.
sad.png

I had this same problem last year. I eventually sat out there on the pond bank and shot about 2 boxes of shotgun shells and got rid of the turtle problem. Now I think they have all heard about that crazy lady with the shotgun and I don't have anymore turtle problems.

Caught another BIG snapping turtle in the pond. Ducks are still afraid to go into water.

Made turtle soup. :>)

My uncle is a fishing guide, and he makes turtle traps like this- it does not kill the turtle, you have to move them somewhere else - but if you do not empty it, they will drown in this
anyway
It is a frame that floats with a tarp in the middle, They climb up on it to bask( although snappers are not really that fond of basking, now are they?) and when they dive off, they dive in the center in the tarp and can not swim back out
I bet if you googled it, there are directions to make one of these

I would trust their instincts, and I wonder with age if they will deside it is worth the turtle risk

What about just fishing them out? Maybe a milk jub fishing bait set up like for catfish? OR get some catfish to eat all the baby snappers... How big of a pond are we talking about? Too big to dredge?

Caught another turtle yesterday... Smaller than the first two. About 8" other two were 12". 4" difference does not sound like much but the first two were 14-15 lbs. and probably 3 times the size of the 8" one. With HUGE heads and mouths

I think I saw another this morning...trap is set so I hope I can get them all out or at least all the big ones.

I have tried the milk jug with a baited line but not had much luck.

The trap I built is a rectangle box shape made from some garden fencing I had to keep rabbits out. I have trap door on one end that looks like a oven rack only smaller
( 15"x15" ) A trip wire holds the door open.. until they hit it... then the door drops down and closes behind them. Have 4 half gallon milk jugs attached at each corner to keep afloat. A small bait box made from 1/4" hardware cloth that is suspended in the trap. I load it up with chicken skin and backs, wing tips.... stuff I usually trash.

Pond is too big and irregular bottom dredging would not work, draining is out. So trapping seems to be my only option.. so far its working :>)

Back
Top Bottom