Ducks are messy drinkers! How do you keep shaving dry-ish?

Megan14be

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 20, 2018
I am looking for a creative way to contain all the water that seems spray all over my ducks house. When they drink they just splash all over the place and my shavings get soaked. The ducks have a huge pond to play in but I keep fresh clean water in the house that they drink during mealtime.

My current solution works well - I have shallow plastic tray (24x24) with a layer of rocks and a layer of shavings. It keeps the water contained - but it is a pain to clean. Does anyone have any better ideas? I was thinking of going the root of rubber mats (like a kitty litter mat) or industrial kitchen mats with the large holes inside my tray. Just thought I would see if anyone else has worked through this issue.

Personally, I don't put any food or water in their house, I keep it all outside where they can make as big a mess as they want. Also with my ducks, I use straw instead of pine shavings.

I would consider trying making one of these from something in your recycling bin. If it doesn't work as well as you'd hoped, you haven't spent too much money or time. You can use any sort of container, preferably with a lid. Make the holes big enough that they can dunk their heads in, but not big enough to climb through.

duck-waterer-diy.jpg

In an effort to keep the egg laying in the nesting boxes, we feed them inside their house and then lock them in for the night. This seems to work for them. I like the bucket idea! We might give that a try this winter when we move them up from the pond. I will see if the straw suits them better.

In an effort to keep the egg laying in the nesting boxes, we feed them inside their house and then lock them in for the night. This seems to work for them. I like the bucket idea! We might give that a try this winter when we move them up from the pond. I will see if the straw suits them better.

Fortunately I haven't had to go on a scavenger hunt for eggs yet, but I can see where this could be a problem when they have a pond to hang out at ;)

I always wait to let my ducks out until after they lay their egg. Occasionally I will get a late egg and find it next to their water bowl... We feed outside the “coop” but one time when it was really stormy I fed them inside.

My ducks have s portion of my shed that we layed a tarp down, covered in sand, and in the back I made a little nesting area with pine shavings. When I kept the food and water inside I peeled back the tarp so the bowls were on the cement and I could sweep it up. The tarp covered the sand so it didn’t get wet.

Just what we do? I don’t know if it helps you at all. :confused:

Attachments

• 3A8AA982-E2BE-4AB1-A04B-1F1C5AEAEDB7.jpeg
    3A8AA982-E2BE-4AB1-A04B-1F1C5AEAEDB7.jpeg
    407.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 4FE32340-52E6-411B-9BD2-A68B25630D7E.jpeg
    4FE32340-52E6-411B-9BD2-A68B25630D7E.jpeg
    338.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 8DBA4410-7E1F-487A-8A3E-8C6081DB3B61.jpeg
    8DBA4410-7E1F-487A-8A3E-8C6081DB3B61.jpeg
    349.1 KB · Views: 23
I read your Question: "Ducks ar messy drinkers! How do you keep shavings dry-ish?"

And my brain immediately said, "Easy! Just get chickens instead." :lau

Really, though, I just wouldn't have any water in their house. They don't need water at night (though they will insist that, YES, they DO!) and it will help keep their bedding dryer. I have a broody Silkie chicken so I ended up putting a small chick waterer in the coop for her so I wouldn't worry about her getting dehydrated. I put the waterer on top of the nesting boxes and thank goodness the ducks haven't figured out how to get up there (yet).

Ducks are just messy lil things. But worth it. Oh SO worth it! :love

I always wait to let my ducks out until after they lay their egg. Occasionally I will get a late egg and find it next to their water bowl... We feed outside the “coop” but one time when it was really stormy I fed them inside.

My ducks have s portion of my shed that we layed a tarp down, covered in sand, and in the back I made a little nesting area with pine shavings. When I kept the food and water inside I peeled back the tarp so the bowls were on the cement and I could sweep it up. The tarp covered the sand so it didn’t get wet.

Just what we do? I don’t know if it helps you at all. :confused:

I love your ducks - soooo beautiful!! What kind are they?? The idea of using sand might work for our girls! The wind can whip sometimes by the pond and the shavings go everywhere.

I read your Question: "Ducks ar messy drinkers! How do you keep shavings dry-ish?"

And my brain immediately said, "Easy! Just get chickens instead." :lau

Really, though, I just wouldn't have any water in their house. They don't need water at night (though they will insist that, YES, they DO!) and it will help keep their bedding dryer. I have a broody Silkie chicken so I ended up putting a small chick waterer in the coop for her so I wouldn't worry about her getting dehydrated. I put the waterer on top of the nesting boxes and thank goodness the ducks haven't figured out how to get up there (yet).

Ducks are just messy lil things. But worth it. Oh SO worth it! :love

Putting the water up high is a nice idea! Thanks!

I love your ducks - soooo beautiful!! What kind are they?? The idea of using sand might work for our girls! The wind can whip sometimes by the pond and the shavings go everywhere.

Thank you!! The black one is a Cayuga and the gray one is a Blue Swedish. I don’t know how well sand would do outside or if it got wet, my coop is enclosed completely.

Back
Top Bottom