Ducks as Pets

So I am a first time duck-owner myself. I have three pekin females that I got back in June. I''ve never had chickens but my best friend has 9. So from one first time duck owner to another, let me give you some things I wish I had known before I got my girls:

1) when people say they are messy, they ain't lying. When I first got my girls, I kept them in a plastic pool with a cardboard box around it for their brooder. The first couple weeks I only had to change it once a week. As they got bigger, it turn into every 3 days. Then it turned into almost everyday by week 5 or 6. It was honestly a pain to keep up with. Their pen that I keep them in is a muddy mess ALL the time. And it smells horrible. I'm actually switching to pea gravel this weekend to hopefully cut down on their mess and smell. For their "pond," I use one of those koi pond liners you get from lowes or HD. It cost me $40 on craigslist. I have to change that out every single week with a sump pump (cause I have it in the ground with no drain) and it's dirty again within 20m. I'm also upgrading that this weekend too.

2) they grow FAST. Like insanely fast. By week 6 my girls were bigger than my friend's 6month old chickens. Growing ducks mean bigger room is needed.

3) idk about anyone else, but my girls are LOUD, especially in the morning. It might be because we are on a routine, but if I don't let my girls out by 8am to roam they YELL for me lol. They're my alarm clock most mornings.

4) get ready to constantly revamp or redo things. What I mean is I went through 4 different type of feeders before I found one that works for me. Their drinking water, probably has gone through 20 different types. I'm always redoing something or trying to improve on their enclosure. I feel like it's a never ending battle. Like I said I'm redoing their enclosure floor and getting (yet another) pond for them this weekend.

5) my girls didn't imprint on me. They don't really come near me and tend to stay away. Every now and then again they'll let me come near but that's really only if I gave treats. For the most part they like to be left alone.

6) although this forum has helped me more than a couple times, I've found that there is limited info or resources for duck care. The feed store I go to only carries Nutrena All Flock and doesn't seem to know much about ducks. But ask them anything about a chicken and they will tell you everything lol.

7) they will eat EVERYTHING. There are times when I walk into their enclosure and will go "WHERE DID YOU GET THAT!!?" They have this amazing ability to find the most random stuff in the yard. They've also killed my flowerbeds and ate almost everything in there but the weeds LOL.

I love my ducks, don't get me wrong. This post probably seems so negative lol. But They're hilarious to watch and I enjoy seeing them out in the yard. Would I get ducks again? Maybe. Possibly a different breed. But I'm more inclined to get chickens on my next go around.

So I am a first time duck-owner myself. I have three pekin females that I got back in June. I''ve never had chickens but my best friend has 9. So from one first time duck owner to another, let me give you some things I wish I had known before I got my girls:

1) when people say they are messy, they ain't lying. When I first got my girls, I kept them in a plastic pool with a cardboard box around it for their brooder. The first couple weeks I only had to change it once a week. As they got bigger, it turn into every 3 days. Then it turned into almost everyday by week 5 or 6. It was honestly a pain to keep up with. Their pen that I keep them in is a muddy mess ALL the time. And it smells horrible. I'm actually switching to pea gravel this weekend to hopefully cut down on their mess and smell. For their "pond," I use one of those koi pond liners you get from lowes or HD. It cost me $40 on craigslist. I have to change that out every single week with a sump pump (cause I have it in the ground with no drain) and it's dirty again within 20m. I'm also upgrading that this weekend too.

2) they grow FAST. Like insanely fast. By week 6 my girls were bigger than my friend's 6month old chickens. Growing ducks mean bigger room is needed.

3) idk about anyone else, but my girls are LOUD, especially in the morning. It might be because we are on a routine, but if I don't let my girls out by 8am to roam they YELL for me lol. They're my alarm clock most mornings.

4) get ready to constantly revamp or redo things. What I mean is I went through 4 different type of feeders before I found one that works for me. Their drinking water, probably has gone through 20 different types. I'm always redoing something or trying to improve on their enclosure. I feel like it's a never ending battle. Like I said I'm redoing their enclosure floor and getting (yet another) pond for them this weekend.

5) my girls didn't imprint on me. They don't really come near me and tend to stay away. Every now and then again they'll let me come near but that's really only if I gave treats. For the most part they like to be left alone.

6) although this forum has helped me more than a couple times, I've found that there is limited info or resources for duck care. The feed store I go to only carries Nutrena All Flock and doesn't seem to know much about ducks. But ask them anything about a chicken and they will tell you everything lol.

7) they will eat EVERYTHING. There are times when I walk into their enclosure and will go "WHERE DID YOU GET THAT!!?" They have this amazing ability to find the most random stuff in the yard. They've also killed my flowerbeds and ate almost everything in there but the weeds LOL.

I love my ducks, don't get me wrong. This post probably seems so negative lol. But They're hilarious to watch and I enjoy seeing them out in the yard. Would I get ducks again? Maybe. Possibly a different breed. But I'm more inclined to get chickens on my next go around.

Thank you so much!!! 1-How many ducks did you have? 2-What breeds?

I just have three Pekin females. I specifically ordered females cause I wanted eggs and I got Perkins cause I read they were great layers. I've got 3 eggs everyday since Christmas.

Cayugas and pekins are the friendliest ducks around!

I love my cute teeny chubby calls, but I have to admit they're rather skittish compared to their much bigger cousins.

We had chickens first. And then last year i added a couple ducks. Messy but well worth it. However they chased our chickens and kept our chickens from their food. And i ended up selling them.
This year we bought some new chicks from a local breeder who didnt know she had a couple bad diseases in her flock. So the new chicks passed it on and we ended up having to cull all the chickens.
So im replacing them with all ducks.
I liked ducks personalities better
They dont get mites and lice because they are in water so much
They dont have as strong a pecking order. I always had a chicken who made others combs bleed or picked other feathers.
Ducks i hve been told live longer, lay longer. Do better in rain, and winter. And handle heat better.
They cant fly.
Cant jump the fences.
From what i have read supposed to be more hardy.
So in my opinion the only downside is the pool/ mess. But thats the only con.
For me there is far more cons with chickens .
I ordered 10 female runner ducks. they ship march 6th and i cant wait! :)
Well how are the runners turning out? I am ordering 5 ducks in a couple weeks and plan on getting at least 1 runner.

Last month I got my two first ducklings- they appear to be a Cayuga and a crested Blue Swedish. I'm a total newbie, but I am loving their qualities as pets. We are amazed at how friendly they are. They follow me (or the nearest available human) everywhere. The Cayuga is definitely a little bolder and brighter, but the Blue Swedish isn't overly skittish. They both peep (and now quack) when we pick them up, but they settle in and tolerate petting. We put old towels/sheets on our couch when we watch TV and they love relaxing next to us. They like to be in the kitchen when I am working in there, but they do poop A LOT (every five minutes at least) so I have clorox wipes at the ready for that. They beg for kitchen scraps right alongside my dogs. I find them to be very cute and friendly! We house them in a large wire dog crate. I definitely have to clean that 2-3 times a day (I use newspaper with paper towel on top). We have them outside in a pen with a drainable kiddie pool during the day now and they do most of their pooping in the water- there is very little mess in the pen itself. We let them forage when we're in the yard, which they love, but they never let us get too far. I don't notice any mess in the grass from their foraging. If we go in the house for a minute, they come by the sliding glass door and wait for us. When they poop on the deck, I just rinse it away.

IMG_1721.JPG
Kiddie pools work fine. Must be dumped and refilled at least every other day.

Those are Silver Appleyards.

Back
Top Bottom