ducks ate substrate

Duckmuck2

Chirping
May 4, 2015
Mid Nevada
I have a 4x4' wooden box with a 1' wall around it I put my ducks in over night in the garage, I lay news paper on the bottom to make cleaning more manageable. Last night they ate a bunch of the newspaper. They had their normal food available. Does anyone know why they would do that and is that bad for them?

I have a 4x4' wooden box with a 1' wall around it I put my ducks in over night in the garage, I lay news paper on the bottom to make cleaning more manageable. Last night they ate a bunch of the newspaper. They had their normal food available. Does anyone know why they would do that and is that bad for them?

Newspaper isn't the best choice for substrate, not just 'cuz of this but it's slick and can cause ducks to slip, potentially causing injury! Paper towels are equally appetizing. Make sure they get a lot of grit to help them digest all that cellulose and keep a close eye on them. If they did eat a lot of it they could become impacted, but hopefully with enough grit in their gizzards they'll manage it just fine.

They seem to be fine. They've been pooping up a storm like normal. As of tonight their outdoor coop and run will be ready for them so won't be an issue anymore

Back
Top Bottom