Ducks biting

Omg! I am not the only one. I have 3 9 mon old pekin drakes big guys well one day out of the blue one get this named Bitsy started biting my toes and chasing me at first it was funny seeing this little guy stomping as hard as he could after me ha jokes on me because it be came down right ridiculous I couldn't walk any where with out him doing this and the pinches got harder and left bruises a month later Aflac started same thing between 3-4 mons of age herman never does this hes really sweet. well I hate to tell u 5 months later their still going strong someone suggested getting them a ball maybe they were bored ha this highly insulted Bitsy. Here's my theory I think they really love me and getting rid of them is not an option mostly I deal with it but there is some hope first of all they need to no this is unacceptable like other post suggested holding their beak for a second with a firm no! When that doesn't work i pick whoevers the most aggressive up gently and hold them telling them no and talking calmly till he can't stand anymore this seems to work well it's like it wounds his tough pride a bit. I have gotten 8 hens in past few months to keep them occupied its never really good to have to many drakes without hens but my hens are still young and will never be housed with them for the girls safety. Here's my best discipline yet the past week when I pay no attention to their harassing easy to do now its wintertime and I'm not wearing shorts and flip flops they start harassing hens and looking at me to get my attention I promptly tell them no and the two go back to their lot for 10 mins. Of timeout well this really gets their goat after time out they come out and play nice with everyone till next day lol I'm no expert but be persistent and hopefully they'll calm down.

My ducks seem to have gotten worse :(

they seem really angry and aggressive.
They're now biting and pulling and leaving sore red marks and they are now attacking other people.

ITs getting really bad

They're also biting everything now.
The ripped my shoes apart, theyre biting the hose, buttons on clothes, they;re food bowl.

Do ducks teeth like babies?

This is most likely homonal behavior, not curiosity. They are of the age when they are becoming sexually active and without any females, you are becoming the target of their hormones.
You need to put a stop to this behavior now. It will most likely only get worse. I have only had a brief problem with this in the past. I am going by what I remember reading from other posts. Do a search for aggressive drake and look for threads with lots of posts.
When they do this, do not back down, pick them up and hold them.

You can hold them to the ground holding their wings, not hard but forcefully enough that they cannot get away. As someone said crouching over them and hold until they stop struggling. Or when they do this a sharp no and pick them up and continue about your business while holding them walking around etc (if you typically pick them up, this probably won't work). Do not coddle them, they need to see that you are top drake and not to be messed with. You need to do this EVERY time. Stop feeding from your hand, if you do. If you have ever seen them fight try to copy that behavior. Make yourself big, make them get out of your way. Don't kick them but push them aside with your foot. They need to learn to respect you or this will not stop.

Wear closed shoes and long pants until behavior improves. If they do this to others, either instruct them in how to handle it or do not allow visitors. The last thing you need is someone running away from them or acting scared.

Good luck.

Totally agree with jdywntr u must show them ur boss and don't run from them they'll have feild day then. I have 3 drakes they must believe I'm their hen but I have tried really hard to show them I'm boss their better now but still have their days when they are relentless if u don't get it nipped now they will get worse.

Hello everyone! I had two drakes and a hen. After the hen was stolen/killed by a predator, the drakes took to me. I have tried the stern no's... haven't tried picking them up and holding their beaks- but I will! I have discovered an easy fix that bores them. I walk around the farm and pond to do my chores while carrying a walking stick. I've never hit them at all, but they do not come in my bubble. If they move to the left, I hold the stick with my left hand... if they start to come behind me, I carry the stick behind me. Eventually, they get bored and go back to their business or to the pond. Hope this tidbit helps somebody!

Back
Top Bottom