Duck's chest seems swollen - need advice

dle124

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 25, 2013
We have a white duck (sorry don't know the breed) and it seems like her chest is swollen. I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not. She hasn't seemed like herself lately. She seems to be a little less energetic. Any advice or comments is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

We have a white duck (sorry don't know the breed) and it seems like her chest is swollen. I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not. She hasn't seemed like herself lately. She seems to be a little less energetic. Any advice or comments is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Do you mean chest like right below her neck or lower down in her belly area? how old/ does she lay? and most likely a Pekin if solid white and large. any other symptoms, if she is laying when did she lay last? does she free range? could she have eaten something toxic?

If you are looking straight at her - it's the chest area closest to the ground. She is one year old. She is free range and there are two other ducks and 2 African geese...they all hang out together. She has Layed but not sure she's Layed recently. I don't think she could of eaten anything toxic and her appetite does still seemed to be good. Like I said she just doesn't seem to be as energetic as she has. Even in the past. I did notice that on the back do her neck seemed to be a bit red/irritated and not as many feathers right there.

If you are looking straight at her - it's the chest area closest to the ground. She is one year old. She is free range and there are two other ducks and 2 African geese...they all hang out together. She has Layed but not sure she's Layed recently. I don't think she could of eaten anything toxic and her appetite does still seemed to be good. Like I said she just doesn't seem to be as energetic as she has. Even in the past. I did notice that on the back do her neck seemed to be a bit red/irritated and not as many feathers right there.
Sounds like too much mating going on if she is missing feathers on her neck, might want to give her a bit of a break, and keep an eye on her in case she could be egg bound, especially if the swelling is that far down, I'd pick her up and very gently feel along her lower belly to see if I can feel an egg. you can also put her in a warm bath and see how she acts. Are you in the area of the country that's experiencing the awful heat wave? that can affect out flock also, but mostly worried she maybe egg bound. Warm water bath can sometimes help them relax enough to pass an egg or vet visit if it's in your budget. I think if she was mine I would put her somewhere for awhile to watch her and make sure the drake doesn't mate with her till what ever is going on is worked out.

I have a chicken named Sally with I belive a similar problem. It'slike a big akward lump in her chest. My mother says its just because she's been over eating and her stomach can't digest all that food. Its no big problem though, she still lays and runs around. I'd suggest just putting your duck on a diet. But that might be pretty hard.

Oh wow - I didn't think of too much mating...aww poor girl. So are you thinking possibly an egg is stuck and she's having a hard time laying it? Sorry - unfortunately I am pretty clueless when it comes to ducks. This is actually my neighbors ducks but we are the ones that feed them (duck & goose food - which seems to be seed and ground up corn we buy at tractor supply. Oh to answer your question - we are inPA and it's been pretty humid lately in the high 80's. Thank you so for answering my questions - I so appreciate your help!

Oh one other question - do you think if we fill a little pool with warm water that would work regarding soaking her? My neighbor has a pond but there seems to be a snapping turtle in there right now that he's trying to capture.

I second the too much mating. Drakes can and will mate all day you need to be careful with them crushing an egg inside her. Also watch the heat and i recommend cold water for swimming ducks are basically walking around in the summer with a thick down winter coat they will overheat easily. Your right about the pond snapper will kill them. Poultry vitamins would be good to give for a little boost.

Oh one other question - do you think if we fill a little pool with warm water that would work regarding soaking her? My neighbor has a pond but there seems to be a snapping turtle in there right now that he's trying to capture.
They need to get rid of the snapping turtle they will kill, bite of legs and feet of waterfowl. I suggested warm water because it seems to help them relax and possibly lay an egg if there's one stuck.
If an egg has busted inside then she is at risk of infection and would need medical help. best thing to do would be to remove her from the rest for a few days so she can be observed enough to actually know what maybe going on. If you can pick up this duck she really needs to be gone over checked for wounds even. under all the down at skin level.

Back
Top Bottom