Ducks dying after drinking water???

Flockofmine

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2020
I have been having this issue....I’m going to actually send two of my deceased ducks for necropsy depending on if they are operating due to what’s going on out there in the world.

So.... I do the same routine everyday Refill food And refill water twice a day. Then one day I‘ll refill their water and food and they drink... then within 5 minutes of drinking some will have seizures and die all at same time 🤯. I’m so puzzled. Fresh water, well water, tested, even have two different wells on the property that I use. No additives in the water, we use ZERO chemicals, no mouse or rat poisons, no weed killers, no bug sprays... we are very all natural / organic here. I use the Same food -flock raiser and duck crumbles and nothing is medicated. I have a few different Duck houses and I give them all the same food and water at the same times. It doesn’t affect all the ducks at once but I typically will have two or three losses after watering and food normally a few times a month especially Immediately after drinking 😳. TonighT, I gave everyone their food and water.... my Swedish blue, harlequins, khaki Campbell’s and Cayugas the same routine. By the time I walked back past my Swedish blues ( 5-10 min) 4 of them were wobbling around falling over and had been 10000% percent normal prior to watering and this progressed to seizures and death in a very short time (15min). They all seemed to have drank lots of water. As they always do...they all dive for it even though it’s been in there ( And changed twice a day) not sure why they do this behavior like are they competing for the water? They will splash and drink and play until it’s Nearly all gone And splashed out of the waterers each time no matter how much there is!

It’s mostly chilly here still and these guys are still not fully grown so I do not have the mini pools filled for them in the enclosures because it is quite cold (40’s). Are they drinking themselves to death?!?! I keep losing ducks/ ducklings in this fashion and it’s really bizarre and I have googled it and I can’t find any answers 🤷🏼‍♀️. I should add that I have Over 100 chickens, I have Over 100 quails, horses, cows, alpaca, rabbits..... literally everything drinks the water here and no other animals have any issues and are all very healthy and happy. It’s completely random and I keep losing the ducks to this and it makes no sense does anyone know what this could be? Are they drinking too much at once?

By the time I walked back past my Swedish blues ( 5-10 min) 4 of them were wobbling around falling over and had been 10000% percent normal prior to altering and this progressed to seizures and death in a very short time (15min).
When mine do this I wrap them up in a sleeping bag to get them heated up.

Welcome to BYC, sorry for your losses. I have seen this before too, and it happens most when they guzzle water that's cooler than their body temp, so I suggest giving them warm water (102 degrees f).

Yes! The water is very cool straight from the tap/ hose. Thank you so much for suggesting this!! This never occurred to me and I didn’t realize this could create an issue but it does make sense!

Welcome to BYC, sorry for your losses. I have seen this before too, and it happens most when they guzzle water that's cooler than their body temp, so I suggest giving them warm water (102 degrees f).
She says they are young but didn't give any ages so I was wondering at what age can we not worry about this anymore? I've got well water too and never hatch in cold weather but I notice that the colder it is outside the colder the well water is.

Back
Top Bottom