Ducks eating milkweeds?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So I wondered about what you think about how much ducks will eat milkweeds?

When I go to feed the ducks a mid day snack (not dinner or breakfast), I'd sometimes had some really big milkweeds in the garden. So I thought, I'd see if they will eat them.

Its hard to tell how much they really NEED milkweeds.

About 65% of the ducks would chew on the milkweed leaves when I was giving them to them. But some wouldn't take them at all. Its also difficult to tell how much of the ones eating them were doing so because they were trained to already like eating stuff out of my hand, etc.

And even when they did take them, it was obvious they didn't really go for the stuff much. But they still gobbled 'em up.

So I'm curious what you think about how much they'll go for greens. And is this really an indicator of them not needing to eat if they are choosy?

Thanks.

I wouldn't actually feed them it, but I also wouldn't go out of your way to destroy all of it if they might be able to access it. In most cases, waterfowl know what to eat and what not eat.

Darn it. I made a mistake then.

I think I got the milkweed being OK, being mixed up with Dandelions that are OK.

Is it the whole plant of the milkweeds that are bad for them, or just certain parts?

I'm pretty sure milkweed is poisonous, although it is a useful weed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought monarch butterflies ate milkweed, then used the toxins to poison predators.

Right , milkweed is poisonous, Monarch butterfly are poisonous because as caterpillars they live on milkweed.
Are you sure you are feeding them milkweed and not something else?

So I wondered about what you think about how much ducks will eat milkweeds?

When I go to feed the ducks a mid day snack (not dinner or breakfast), I'd sometimes had some really big milkweeds in the garden. So I thought, I'd see if they will eat them.

Its hard to tell how much they really NEED milkweeds.

About 65% of the ducks would chew on the milkweed leaves when I was giving them to them. But some wouldn't take them at all. Its also difficult to tell how much of the ones eating them were doing so because they were trained to already like eating stuff out of my hand, etc.

And even when they did take them, it was obvious they didn't really go for the stuff much. But they still gobbled 'em up.

So I'm curious what you think about how much they'll go for greens. And is this really an indicator of them not needing to eat if they are choosy?

Thanks.
Milkweed is poisonous! Do not feed it to ducks or anything else. Only monarch butterfly caterpillars should be eating milkweed!!!

Back
Top Bottom