Ducks first clutch....

caesargirl

Crowing
8 Years
May 13, 2015
Unity, Maine
One of my ducks is sitting on her first clutch!!! Now normally a duck will build up her eggs over a period of days, not sitting until she feels she has enough. That keeps the eggs from starting the incubation at different times. This duck however, started laying, has 11 eggs and only got off the nest for 20 mins to a half hour each day.... So, best I can tell, if all these eggs have been incubating for 11-12 days, at 1 egg a day.... So how do I handle this as time progresses???

I'd be tempted to remove the ducklings as they hatch - returning them all once the hatch is complete. I've never had great luck with staggered hatches. Good luck.

I'd be tempted to remove the ducklings as they hatch - returning them all once the hatch is complete.  I've never had great luck with staggered hatches.  Good luck.
I've thought that too... My one fear is that this is her first clutch and I don't want her to abandon the rest if I keep taking them. I'm sensing a bald spot in my future when I start pulling my hair out!!! lol I guess it's wait and see. I'll do a first candle tomorrow, if she removes herself from the nest and I can distract her personal guard goose!! Fingers crossed!

If possible, having an incubator on 'stand by' would also be a good idea.
And here's the other issue.... Got a brand new incubator this year!!!! Three guesses what all ready has eggs cooking!!!! When I was a kid, my father told me to never do anything halfway.... One suggestion offered has been to candle mamma ducks eggs and take the ones that are closest in age to the ones I'm incubating. Mine are on day 3, and thes 3ish days since laying her last egg. Another one is to take the babies as they hatch and hope she'll hatch to the last. Maybe a combination of both! I did post on the duck thread also.

Back
Top Bottom