Ducks have changed...So Sad

hendrix25

Songster
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
GA
Over the past few weeks, my ducks have went from semi social ducks (cayugas) to very skittish ducks. (they're 15-16 wks old) They use to come right up under my feet when I would feed them they treats. Now they barely eat the treats and the won't go near it if it's laying to close to me. They use to eat out of my hands, the only thing I they really didn't let me do was pick them up. Over the past few weeks there have been a few slight changes.

July 4-12 DH and I were on vacation, my aunt and little cousin took care of them. Really over spoiled them. brought them minnows, crickets, tomatoes, etc., like everyday. I don't give them that many treats that often.
(Sometime that week the first visit from the fox occurred.)
July 13-15 visits from two different foxes. Won't come out of their house or pen without being physically removed. (
hide.gif

Now they won't swim in there pool, they won't even be tricked into getting into it. if i corner them, and catch them and put them in it they fly out. they won't get anywhere near me or my Dh. They have started coming out of their house on their own, but still not the pen. i have to crawl in there everyday to get them to come out. IS there hope they will be back to normal?? I miss them following me around. they used to love to get treats, now it doesn't phase them at all. they will look at the treat for a long time before they even attempt to eat it, if they even do eat it. Any suggestions? on what I can do. I kinda get a feeling that they don't trust me anymore...
hit.gif
hit.gif

i really dont think that being over spoiled is the prob. if anything i think they would just bug you for more treats but if you are sure that is the prob. you might wanna offer them the same stuff as aunty and slowly change it back to what you used
smile.png
as far as their pond if it is large and deep (bigger then a kiddie pool) i would drain it and see whats in it that they dont like.
hope that helps just ideas;)

they have two kiddie pools and they have been drained and are sitting with clean water. they only thing i haven't done is get them some minnows. other than that, everything she gave them is what i give them. i told her the treats i was giving them and she made sure to stick to those same treats. so i'm just confused a little...i really seen the changes after the fox started coming around. they are just really really distant and caution of EVERYTHING. a crow flew over them the other day and they darted towards, the only time they've gotten close to me at all in the past few weeks.

Quote:
for the time being...it's hard to "take care of a fox problem" i can't really kill it at 4am. i'm sure it wouldn't take the cops long to get there after my neighbors call in that they heard a gun shot. can't trap it, they are too smart for that. plus theres more than one. i also seen a gray fox (rare) last night as i was coming home (11pm), it crossed the road in front of me about 100 yards from my driveway. but it never came to the ducks, at least it didn't trigger the camera, which is very sensitive. they seem to be better in the am when i let them out. i could tell when something was coming around at night. maybe they are just going through a "stage."

I think lot's of people have fox "around" with their poultry. I guess they eventually learn they are safe in their predator proof pens or houses. Our duck's universe is surrounded by a six foot privacy fence; only squirrels, birds, and lawn-mower noises breach their little bubble. We had fox and raccoon come in but they don't like our yard anymore after they got shocked by the electric wires around the duck's pen.
fl.gif

Quote:
guess i could move my electric fence from my garden to the duck house. not sure which is more important, having vegetables in the garden or live ducks...i have no fear that the foxes are going to get the ducks at night though. but the deers in the garden...gosh!!

anyways...thanks for the suggestions

Back
Top Bottom