Ducks in a garden?

LabMomma

Songster
Dec 2, 2021
Hello, everyone! I am wanting to get ducks in the spring and am wanting to expand my garden as well. I’ve heard about ducks being good in gardens especially certain breeds such as call ducks and Khaki Campbells. Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions about this? Do ducks actually help/do well in gardens? Do they eat the slugs and bugs like I’ve heard? What about the plants, do they eat them or steer clear from them for the most part? I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions! Thank you!

Sometimes they stomp young plants into the ground instead of eating them. But, at least they don't scratch like chickens do.

Ducks do fine in an established garden of ornamentals. They might help with weeding and pest control. But, I can't imagine trying to sow and cultivate tender vegetables with ducks around.

Ducks destroy less than chickens. They do walk over plants, but most survive. They don't seem to like many herbs here, so they leave them alone. Our kale, on the other hand, they love it, so they only roam free here when we're around. Otherwise we will have nothing left for ourselves 😇

Ducks also poop a lot, if you have a small garden I can imagine that you do not like that.

I personally like the fact that I can lock them up in their own area when I'm not there. Maybe you can also fence off a part where is nothing they can destroy?

If you have a lot of snails, Indian runner ducks are also a good choice, no experience with them just read it online:cool:

Back
Top Bottom