Ducks in Hail

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dances with Ducks, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Something weird I wanted to show people. A hailstorm just hit us, I was out with the ducks and watched. Momma duck called her ducklings into the house, but one stayed out. I heard him peeping so I ran over and he was sitting still with his bill straight up pointed at the sky. I grabbed him and took him inside, worried he may have been hit and have some neurological injury to cause him to sit in that weird posture. But he acted normal once I got him in. I looked out the window and one of my hens was doing the same thing. I took a picture if you can tell what it is. This is a white duck with a black bill behind a white slatted fence. Her bill is pointing straight up and you see her throat. I'm guessing this is a protective instinct to maybe ward off some of the hail with their hard bill? Has anyone seen this before and/or know more about it?
    [​IMG]

2. farrier!

farrier! Songster

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    How strange....thanks for sharing!

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    wow you may be right! It's probably to avoid getting conked on the head really hard by one smart instinct!

4. ExpLo721

ExpLo721 In the Brooder

May 30, 2009
    Chicago/Montgomery
    Just further strengthens my belief that ducks are smart!

5. headred

headred Songster

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    All six of mine did that recently in a hail storm too. It looked to me like they were trying to catch the hail and EAT it. Who knows!!??

6. Quote:OK - I'm glad someone else has seen this. Where they opening their mouths? I was dodging around trying to avoid the hail so I didn't get a good look. Well, the duckling looked real still.

7. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Songster

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    My ducks love hail and try to catch it as fast as it comes down. But out here on the west coast we rarely get anything bigger than small pea sized hail. They probably wouldn't be as happy with it if it was the big stuff you guys in the midwest and east get.

8. Wow, so maybe for them it's like food flying down from the sky! The hail we had was marble sized, like the larger marbles we used to call boulders when I was a kid.

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Looks like they use their bills to take the hit rather than the head or face. Smart duck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: