1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Ducks in the rain?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Alicia0795, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Alicia0795

Alicia0795 Chirping

Jul 21, 2014
    I have 3 mallards (1 male and 2 females), A male magpie, a male blue sweedish, a female black sweedish, and two baby pekin ducks. I got all my others when it was winter so i didnt have to worry about rain when they were little. Now that i have two baby pekin's and it is raining like everyday, i don't know what to do. Are they allowed in the rain? Will it make them sick? They like to be with the big ducks and they love rain. Just not sure if they are too little for the cold and rain. They are about a month-month and a half old. Any suggestions? Should i keep it on the safe side and just bring them in? I feel bad because they seem to enjoy it when it rains.

P.S. Since they are still pretty little, i keep them inside the house but i will eventually put them outside with the other ducks when they get bigger. I keep them inside at night and bring them outside with the other ducks to run around free range in my yard during the day. <3[​IMG]

2. Gatsbysmum

Gatsbysmum Chirping

Jul 27, 2014
    When mine were that little we would let them out in the rain for a few hours at a time with supervision, but they can get sick if they stay out too long because their fluff isn't water repellent yet. I'd suggest letting them out for an hour/hour and a half at a time throughout the day, but make sure to bring them in, towel them off, and make sure they are warm and have some down time inbetween. Hope this helps!

3. Alicia0795

Alicia0795 Chirping

Jul 21, 2014
    It does help! Thank you very much.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Crowing

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    so they have no mama? that is where it gets trickier without one they are reduced in the oils that cover their feathers, so basically less waterproofed as said make sure they get well dried and don't allow it to get to excessive in cold, rainy days.

When babies are with their mamas i don't even give it a second thought, she handles all that but when i am mama i have to use judgement, chill is a killer of young babies..

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by