Ducks in Winter

llombardo

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Illinois
This winter was absolutely awful. Very early on a branch fell on the run and caused damage. Within a couple weeks of fixing it the weather became brutal. I said screw it and brought all the chickens and ducks inside. Temps are getting better(they are actually calling for snow next week--unbelievable)

I'm cleaning the run and putting thrm outside shortly but I'm already worried about next winter. I do not think Indian Runners are hardy enough for thd brutal temps we saw, so next year I want to be prepared.

I brought my neighbor a couple dozen eggs and he brought up an electric blanket. I thought about it and it may work. I would put it under the bedding on a low setting. The bedding I use is fire retardant(flax bedding) and there is no food or water in the duck house. If they poop it is absorbed well through the bedding so very little washing of blanket.

Would this work to keep them warm? I'm not looking for super warm but I am looking to keep the edge off. I do not want to use a heat lamp at all. I thought about cozy heaters lining the wall of house, but this electric blanket has gotten me intrugued.

Thoughts?

The blanket is a horrible idea. Chickens and ducks don't need extra heat if you have a proper coop. We get much colder than you up here in Wisconsin. I have never used heat. Ducks especially are very hardy. Wild ducks will stay on the rivers here where people feed them.

Our winter has been horrible too. We got snow today. My ducks didn't need any heat. Neither did my chickens. As long as they got proper ventilation, they should be fine. If you are dead set on the blanket though, you can try making a large mama heating pad with it. Think of it like a giant heated cave. That way they can get under it and you do nt have to worry about the blanket catching the bedding on fire.

Check out the Sweeter Heater - I think it's probably one of the safest way to give them a little extra warmth just to take the edge off. We did have to use it for a few weeks this winter - and my Runner was under it every night. I agree with your assessment on the Runners - especially if you have fawn and white runners - they seem to be smaller and I don't think the extra heat when it's below freezing is a bad thing. Here's the Amazon link for the largest one but they have several sizes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CYUZSQ4/?tag=backy-20

Check out the Sweeter Heater - I think it's probably one of the safest way to give them a little extra warmth just to take the edge off. We did have to use it for a few weeks this winter - and my Runner was under it every night. I agree with your assessment on the Runners - especially if you have fawn and white runners - they seem to be smaller and I don't think the extra heat when it's below freezing is a bad thing. Here's the Amazon link for the largest one but they have several sizes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CYUZSQ4/?tag=backy-20

Thank you. Yes they are fawn/white. There is no way they would be in good shape at under 0 degrees much less negative 20-50. With them I think 20 would be about the lowest without issues.

How high did you hang yours? Does it go on once a certain temperature hits or do you set the temp?

It’s a stable temp constantly. So I adjusted mine as the temps changed. Really cold nights it was probably 10-12 inches from the ground. We hit 0 a few nights and they all snuggled under it. There were a few days too where I left it on but raised it about 2 feet. It’s radiant heat and from what I can tell there’s really no way for it to catch anything on fire. We love it!

Back
Top Bottom