Ducks in Winter

the biggest problem is that there is no electricity out there so "someone" will have to put wire the duck run. Actually, I want a light out there anyway so I can see to clean out the big poop chunks every day. I have to hold a flashlight and the pitch fork at the same time which is a pain!

the biggest problem is that there is no electricity out there so "someone" will have to put wire the duck run. Actually, I want a light out there anyway so I can see to clean out the big poop chunks every day. I have to hold a flashlight and the pitch fork at the same time which is a pain!

The light is an easy fix, you either need a head lamp (hands free) or a cheap motion sensor solar light that come on whenever you are near the coop. The heat, that's your call. I find my ducks fare much better in the cold than my chickens and choose not to heat. We can have below freezing temps any night of the year and routinely have high winds an snow, more snow in the forecast this week. The only issues the ducks have had is a bit of frostbite damage to the edges of their food webbing, but they are surprisingly cold hardy.

Back
Top Bottom