Ducks just started laying, when should I try hatch some eggs?

i hear you should wait 8 weeks at least...
im going to wait for next spring
sad.png
mine started laying about 4 weeks ago.

Do you have a drake? If you do then you NEED to wait atleased 4 weeks so the eggs are big enough for the duckling to grow inside.

Evelle: how long have yours been laying?

Eggs can be fertile as soon as a duck starts laying, but it can take a little time for the eggs to be consistently a good size with even shell. The time will differ for different ducks. Some may only need a week- other 3- 4 Apart from that- do you want to be brooding ducklings through the colder months? It may be warmer where you live but it still means that they will have to be kept indoors and with heat for longer than those hatched over spring and summer. A shed or barn can still be drafty, so they would need to be well protected until 8 weeks or more. If you add together the time to collect and incubate the eggs- and work out what the temperatures are like where you live at that time of the year, then you can work out whether to hatch now or wait for spring.

Hi, thanks for the replies. I have 2 drakes also. I'm in Florida and while we are generally warmer, I will take that into consideration. Just tossing the idea around at this point. Thanks.

Hey Sara, seeing that you are up on the GA/FL line and get a lot colder than we do here down here you would need to keep the hatchlings inside until they fully feather out. Just something to think about. How are the ducks all doing?

Shellie

Hi Shellie, my ducks are doing good, and I saw that picture you posted and saw the Pekin. I'm glad he's doing good. I ended up giving the new babies to Jamie. It was kind of a crazy time for me and just couldn't handle them too. How are your new babies doing?

Fred is fat and spoiled, he still comes in the house too. We are getting him a pair of Pekin girls here soon. The new babies are getting huge! We just set 18 Scovy eggs last week in the incubator too. Sorry you had give the new babies away, hopefully you can set fertile eggs and have babies again.

Thanks for the info everyone! Came here to ask this question and the answer was here. I have a leucistic (lack of pigmentation but not albino) Black Swedish duck (so she looks like a Pekin) and a Khaki Campbell drake. She is 24 weeks and has just begun laying with 6 eggs in 6 days. I knew to wait a few weeks, but wasn't sure if it was about egg size. I have indoor brooding area, so temp isn't an issue. (Mess might be - ha ha) I am very curious to see if she is fertile. We had a local leucistic mallard around for many years, and we never saw her with a brood, but nearly always with a drake. Not sure why, unless the genetic defect affects fertility too. Anyway, thanks for this great source of info and sharing!

Back
Top Bottom