Ducks laying eggs in the middle of icelandic winter???

the_finch_family

Songster
Dec 15, 2022
East iceland
Hi!
So, two of my three females started laying eggs regularly just recently, and I'm not so sure about how healthy that really is for them during a time when foraging is basically impossible.

I'm a little worried about my larger female who I think was the one who ate her last egg and seems just a little bit more chill than usual. That definitely rings some alarm bells for me, as she usually gets very excited to be let outside as do the others, and egg eating is usually a sign of stress or defficiencies in the kinds of birds I'm used to keeping.

What do you guys think? Am I missing something? And have you ever had any health issues occur in females that lay in the winter?

For context:
I supplement with crushed egg shells alongside the regular grit they get, and their diet varies slightly depending on the day.
Some days they will get chicken feed with added nutritional yeast (more reliable source of niacin where I live), other days they will get "soup" made with chop (the type I make for my budgies and finches) and peas alongside their regular feed, yeast, veggies and herb mix and so on. I'm trying to keep it interesting everyday so they don't get picky 😅

Attachments

• 20221231_174818.jpg
    20221231_174818.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 1,522
What feed are you using? I’ve never had an issue with egg eating but two-four of my ducks lay all winter long. I’ve never had health issues with them.

They need a good diet with calcium,are you feeding layer? Oyster shell is another way to make sure they are getting plenty of calcium. If you can't find it then calcium citrate in powder form is another way of making sure they are getting the calcium they need you can add it to their chop. Also exercise they need to get out and walk. I know in winter sometimes that is hard to do but it's important to keep those muscles that push the egg from top to bottom and out strong.
My Runners when young laid a straight 18 months without a break and I did worry about them but they did fine.

They need a good diet with calcium,are you feeding layer? Oyster shell is another way to make sure they are getting plenty of calcium. If you can't find it then calcium citrate in powder form is another way of making sure they are getting the calcium they need you can add it to their chop. Also exercise they need to get out and walk. I know in winter sometimes that is hard to do but it's important to keep those muscles that push the egg from top to bottom and out strong.
My Runners when young laid a straight 18 months without a break and I did worry about them but they did fine.
Yes I'm feeding them layer feed, as well as oyster shell. I try to switch it up a bit by adding part crushed eggshells. They are also out in their run daily unless we're having very strong winds. They love their outdoor time, and now that I made them a less steep ramp, they get in and out of the corporeal confidently too. 🥰

I guess i could be stressing for nothing then. The one girl who was acting off is back to normal now, so while i don't know what was bothering her, I think she's just fine from what I can tell.

Thank you so much for the reply! It helps a lot 💕

Sounds to me like you have done everything right.

When they first start to lay the system is getting prepared and I'd think they would have days where it might be a little harder to lay. Boy when my Buffs first started to lay their eggs were so large mostly double yolkers I'd go out to make sure nothing was hanging out[prolapse] since their eggs were so huge. Thankfully they were fine. It's normal to worry about them. I think you are just being normal. :)

Sounds to me like you have done everything right.

When they first start to lay the system is getting prepared and I'd think they would have days where it might be a little harder to lay. Boy when my Buffs first started to lay their eggs were so large mostly double yolkers I'd go out to make sure nothing was hanging out[prolapse] since their eggs were so huge. Thankfully they were fine. It's normal to worry about them. I think you are just being normal. :)
Oh wow, I've never even seen double yolkers in person lol
That must have been a special but stressful time.
Thank you so much for the reassurance, it means a lot.
I'm the kind of person who sees their bird look a bit more tired than usual and starts going through every scenario of what could have gone wrong 😅

Back
Top Bottom