Ducks losing color in face and feathers lightening??

blondie34

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
Grand Rapids, OH
I'm at a loss.. I have two female ducks and one male duck in our poultry run and the two females have been losing color in their faces and the one duck's feathers are getting lighter.. it's the strangest thing.. my two females are a bit older (5-8 years old) but I have a hard time believing that that would change anything. My male duck (a white Pekin) is totally the same.. it's just the girls that are looking a bit "drab"

I originally thought it may be moulting but it has been months and they've only gotten shabbier looking. They are on a layer pellets and live with 8 peafowl and about 10 chickens in a 50'x50' run with a 12'x12' shed for shelter. They also have a filtered duck pond. I will attach pictures shortly..

anyone have any ideas what could be causing this or what I can do?

I'm at a loss.. I have two female ducks and one male duck in our poultry run and the two females have been losing color in their faces and the one duck's feathers are getting lighter.. it's the strangest thing.. my two females are a bit older (5-8 years old) but I have a hard time believing that that would change anything. My male duck (a white Pekin) is totally the same.. it's just the girls that are looking a bit "drab"

I originally thought it may be moulting but it has been months and they've only gotten shabbier looking. They are on a layer pellets and live with 8 peafowl and about 10 chickens in a 50'x50' run with a 12'x12' shed for shelter. They also have a filtered duck pond. I will attach pictures shortly..

anyone have any ideas what could be causing this or what I can do?
The sun can bleach out feather colors after a while then once they molt the natural color will be back. Color in their faces are they Muscovy? My scovies when they aren't laying have duller color on their masks. Also my older ducks 7 and up can get wet feather and molt usually takes care of that, but pics will def help.

The picture above is what my brown duck used to look like when she was healthy and vibrant, about 7 months ago.. she was a nice rich brown and had dark brown/blue sheen to the tips of her wings...

the picture below is what she looks like now.. it's almost like she has been bleached or something..

The picture above is what my brown duck used to look like when she was healthy and vibrant, about 7 months ago.. she was a nice rich brown and had dark brown/blue sheen to the tips of her wings...

the picture below is what she looks like now.. it's almost like she has been bleached or something..
Pretty big difference could still be the sun though. I'd put some poultry vitamins in their water a couple times a week. I do this for my older ones and also when they are in molt.

I had the same thing with mine but ours if definitely moulting as now (eventually) the feathers are starting to turn black again

Back
Top Bottom