Duck's "manhood" hanging out

waterfowlrescue

Songster
12 Years
Aug 24, 2007
NC
We treat them all the time, there is no need to kill a bird for a prolapse unless your only purpose is to breed them. They can even sill breed with just a shorter phallus. In ducks the phallus isnt vascular and just a delivery tube so shorter the tune less effective delivery but doesn't mean no delivery.

You can use sugar to shrink the tissues or what we use is Hemorrhoid creams that will also shrink tissues and provide the lubrication to get the phallus back inside. Never put necrotic tissues back into yoru birds body so you do want to remove the dead skin first.

Just a word of warning though prolapse's are often a secondary symptom. They can be caused by trauma but the most common reason we see it is due to bacterial infection. Sometimes its just inexperience of the male to put things back and swelling blocks it and it just escalates into a bigger problem. I always run a course of antibitoics with a prolapse just to be safe.

Nurseylee

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
Vermont
A quick Dick update...he is doing fine so far. We kept him isolated for 2 days then put him back with his buddy. They are both new to us as we got them off craigs list.

Could stress also cause this to happen? They had a 2 hour car ride here, BUT the people that had them before thought it would be a good idea to pen them in a box in the car the day before the ride, so they spent almost 48 hours in a box in the car! What antibiotic do you recommend?

Thanks for all the good advise!

DaKid

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Berkley , Ma.
This is very valuable information, I will have to cut /paste this ,being a new-b to raising & keeping ducks coming next spring
great thread.

But I really like the duck-tape idea and naming him Dick Da Duck.

Alan

Buff Hooligans

Scrambled
12 Years
Jun 11, 2007
Oh my gosh, I laughed out loud at so many of these posts. Please don't tell Dick that we all know about his ..... situation.

PortageGirl

Songster
11 Years
Nov 8, 2008
Portage County, Ohio
I don't have ducks... yet, but who knows! Thing is, this whole thread is the best balance of --- "WOW, I learned a LOT!!!" and "WOW, I laughed a LOT!!!"

Thank you all for both the education and the laughter!

Last edited:

NYREDS

Crowing
12 Years
Jan 14, 2008
deanna&rich :

our best wishes for Mr. Dick Duck.

Maybe it should be "Little Dick"

the Old Rebel

Rest in Peace -2011
12 Years
May 12, 2007
Hendersonville NC
Oh my goodness..... poor Dick..... the circumcised duck.

I know we shouldn't laugh, but this thread has been hilarious. I haven't laughed this hard in a long, long time.

nettie

Enslaved by Indoor Ducks
11 Years
Nov 20, 2008
Chicago, IL
i don't know if the car ride freaked them out, as most ducks seem to not mind the car. when my ming mei was only a week old she traveled on the dash board of my moving truck from chicago to montgomery! that's 14 hours... and the ducks have made the trip back and forth from IL to AL and back again 3 more times and actually seemed to enjoy it. He's probably more freaked out by the new owners and the new surroundings. poor little guy

I believe Baytril is an antiboitic you can use for ducks. My ducks have each been on baytril for different reasons (one egg binding issue and one foot problem). I'm not sure on doses though. Mine came from a vet and was in pill form... I just snuck a round pill into a tomato or a grape everyday and tricked them into eating it.

Top Bottom