Ducks Missing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Gilmore Farms, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Gilmore Farms

Gilmore Farms Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2015
    So, yesterday two of my ducks disappeared from my coop. The majority of the run is covered by bird netting and the other is covered by a large tree. If a bird got in there and took them I don't know how unless they went straight up through the tree. The floor of the run was muddy but had no tracks in it. We have been searching the neighborhood and can't find them. There was no feathers to show a fight with a predator. Does any one have any idea of what could have happened. Thanks for any help!

2. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    Do you have any ducks left? Do they appear to be tramatized? No feathers or blood anywhere it doesn't add up. Are the ducks full grown or babies? Could they have escaped the pen and run off? I would search the area and see if you can find any trace of them or feathers. If it is a predator they will be back I would secure the run . Good luck I hope you find them. Let me know please.

3. Gilmore Farms

Gilmore Farms Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2015
    So there's another one missing tonight. Every things in place and normal. No blood our feathers. I have one left at I am going to move it to my other coop with More ducks. I searched the coop and there's no tracks our feathers or blood. I have them all locked up. We talked to animal control and he thought that some one was probably stealing them. I know there not escaping because they would have to go through two fences and I'm sure the

4. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Oh my gosh so terrible I would be out there with a shotgun! I am so sorry this happened to you :hugs

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd put up a game [trail camera] and see if you can find out whats going on. Whether human or 4 legged pred.

Very sorry for your loss.

6. quackers619

quackers619 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    X2 on the trail camera...............Hope you find out what is going on...........sorry 4your loss

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  7. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Im really sorry for your loss :( I hope that you find out what took them. Keep us posted.

8. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    I'm so sorry for your losses. Maybe you need to put a padlock on your coop just in case. I think a game cam is the way to find out for sure what is taking them. Good luck I hope you catch them.

9. PINOAK RIDGE

PINOAK RIDGE Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2016
    Tennessee
    Yes, we agree with the cameras. Either way you will find out what is taking your ducks. The two legged "varmits" are the worst. At least with a predator, they are taking to eat and survive. Two legged varmits for meanness or jealousy.

Good luck. Hope the rest of your ducks will stay safe.

PINOAK RIDGE
    Call ducks in: Apricot Silver, Aztec Blue, Black, Blue, Blue Fawn, Buff, Butterscotch, Chocolate, Grey, Khaki, Pastel, Snowy, Silver & White.
    Black East Indies, Miniature Silver Appleyards, Mallards and Silver Mallards.

Silkies: Black, Blue, Buff, Grey, Partridge & White
    Bantam Cochins & Frizzles: Black, Blue, Silver, Mottled-Black & Blue, Millie Fluer (Calico) and White.

10. BBowe

BBowe New Egg

Aug 30, 2015
    When I had ducks disappearing with no feathers or sign of struggle, it turned out to be a bobcat. Snatched them up and just took off with them. Could jump or climb high fences, even with a mouthfull of duck. Would also suspect perhaps maybe an eagle would be large enough to fly off with it? Have had an eagle kill one, but it made a mess right then and there... Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by