ducks not laying

llrumsey

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
I have 14 hen ducks and 5 drakes of different species but so far this year I have only gotten 4 eggs, and that was over a month ago. I feed wheat, oats and milo plus they free range, what's going on.

With that many hens I should be drowning in eggs. Please help.

This is a shameless bump. I too am wondering when my Cayuga hen will lay. I got a trio last week, and lost one due to the horrible winds blowing open the roof. Our neighbors found them under their truck. I'm down to one hen and a drake. They were kept in a pen with other ducks similar in age when I purchased them. That pen was just starting to lay. How long can it take to acclimate them to the new place? I'm sure the traumatic event wasn't good for their comfort level. But today they came out and ranged for a little while. They haven't gone for a swim in the kiddie pool, but seemed to trust me enough to herd them back in their pen.

Do I need to provide a nest box? Or do ducks like to lay outside? She settled into a depression in the grass for a bit and I got my hopes up.

Also I read that you aren't supposed to collect the first few eggs so that the duck continues to lay there. Is that true? Couldn't I put fake eggs in for that purpose?

It may be that the increasing light has not triggered them yet. I have read that ducks lay best with at least 14 hours of light but never more than 17 hours. Do you change different types of food regularly (which can stop laying). I feed my ducks layer pellets and oyster shell. So far so good. I am wondering if they are getting enough calcium and other essential nutrients. They also need at least 16 percent protein but no more than 20. If your ducks are older than 18 weeks, they should be on a layer pellet ration. If you are going to change their food, do so gradually over the course of a few days.

Their environment may also be a factor. Laying eggs can be prevented if they are frequently left without food or water, frightened by loud noises, moved to new surroundings, or roughly handled. They may also be molting which can cause ducks to stop laying.

I hope some of this helps. I may be able to provide more suggestions if you can tell me how old your ducks are and the specific breeds.

Good Luck!

Man I agree this is a slump, I have had mine for a year so that cant be the problem for me, I know that when I moved my goose last years she quit laying for the rest of the summer, but I just know know that much about ducks.

I know that they are mating I see it all the time, you'd think by now I would have plenty of eggs. I wonder if they need 12 hours of sunlight like a chicken does?

I'm about to give up on raising them. nasty little buggers.

my ducks are 1 year old, I have 5 pekin hens, 1 magpie, 2 mixed and 6 rouin, the males are 4 rouin and one mixed. they have not been moved in the last 6 months or so, dont seem to be molting, and I did change their feed 2 weeks ago, before I was giving them just corn, but now I give them a mix of oats, wheat, milo and crushed corn.

Thanks for any help.

Quote:
Since they have been a bit rattled, I suspect it will be a little bit. I tried to get my ducks to lay in a nest box but they have always preferred making a nest on the duck house floor. I tried all sorts of types of nest boxes with fake eggs for many months. I gave up after a while. Mine lay in the morning before I let them out. I did have one Cayuga that layed eggs outside for two days but that was when she was just starting to lay.

Quote:
I think your best bet is to gradually introduce the layer pellets with 16 to 20 percent protein. They may not be getting enough calcium and protein from just grazing and grains.

Last edited:
We buy organic grains and grind them ourselves. Ends up being about 20% protein. Corn, extruded soy beans, oats, field peas, barley, calcium, and poultry mineral mix. I'd love to free range them, but after almost losing them I'm nervous to let them out when I'm not watching. As for the age of them, I was so excited to get them I forgot to ask! I just know that they should be laying soon, I saw an egg in the pen but it was big and white so I know it wasn't a cayuga!

Also our rooster Wyatt didn't appreciate the ducks visits by the barn today. He got pretty cocky! Will they get along?

Quote:
Not sure about your rooster. I have never had chickens but likely will someday. I think after a while they will get used to one another and respect their space. I have seen ducks and geese behave this way.

So I got my first egg today!! Six days after the terrifying event, and 9 days after bringing them home. I'm so excited, I'm not a duck raising failure after all! Little Fiddle managed to pull it off. Now if I could only convince them to go into the kiddie pool for a swim. Still nervous about letting them free range when we're not outside. The crappy weather has been holding us back. There's all sorts of stuff I could do out there, but it's either cold, windy, or raining. And now it looks like rain is coming, so I better go grab my egg!!

Back
Top Bottom