Ducks not sleeping in the coop

Olson2490

Hatching
Apr 21, 2021
we forgot to close the door to the coop 1 night and somthing killed 6 of our chickens. All the ducks got away. Ever since then the ducks will walk 50 yards from the coop every night and sleep in a small stream on our property, they come back every morning and hang out right around the coop and our house but will no longer sleep in it. Do I catch them and lock them up for a couple weeks, so they know it’s safe?

Are they in a pen? or just loose with a coop? I would suggest herding them in at night, I think eventually they will get back into the routine. You could try positive association by giving them treats in the coop. One night mine were all locked up safely and they heard a predator come by - I know because my dog took off after it - but just hearing it outside the coop was enough to make them not want to go back. I wish they understood logic! With enough persistence I think they will eventually start going back in on their own, but for their safety you should make sure they're locked up each night.

Are they in a pen? or just loose with a coop? I would suggest herding them in at night, I think eventually they will get back into the routine. You could try positive association by giving them treats in the coop. One night mine were all locked up safely and they heard a predator come by - I know because my dog took off after it - but just hearing it outside the coop was enough to make them not want to go back. I wish they understood logic! With enough persistence I think they will eventually start going back in on their own, but for their safety you should make sure they're locked up each night.
Thanks, They are free range and have always came to the coop at night until we forgot to shut the door 1 night. Now every night at about 730 they waddle out to the little stream. I will catch them tomarrow and see if I can retrain them.

Back
Top Bottom