Ducks on concrete ???

tony garza

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 21, 2010
Cross Plains, Tx
Hi,

I have an unused slab of concrete that is 12X32. It used to be a hog building until the tornado took the building but left the concrete slab. The slab even has a drainage slot. Can I use this slab to raise ducks ????

Thanks for your replies,

Tony

The slab is smooth and I can put hay on a portion of the floor that will be their housing to help them with their footing and feet. But I was thinking that hosing the slab down and out in the waste channel would be easy for me and keep the poop and flies down some. Oh well.................it was just an idea.

Tony

FOr me it would depend on how smooth it was. You said smooth, but even if there are rough patches, bumblefoot could be an issue. Other than that, I am all for easy clean ups
big_smile.png

I have a big smooth concrete section in my enclosed run (which was there when we moved in). I wish it wasn't there, because it is harder on the ducks feet and legs, but they do have access to large areas of grass (and mud) on either side of it. They prefer not to hang out on the cemented area, but I confess that when I know I'm going to have less time for clean up at home for a few days, I put their pool in the middle of it cuz their water stays significantly cleaner there.
roll.png

My duck house floor is concrete, with 2-3" of wood pellets/sawdust on top. They don't touch the concrete anywhere, and so far its been easy to clean. I just stir up & shift the bedding around once a day, so that the parts that were near the waterer can dry out. My duck house also has pretty good ventilation, so there's a lot of air movement which helps things dry out. I have 16 ducklings & 2 goslings, and they're inside most of the time since they're only 4 weeks old. So far, the mess really isn't that bad.

i wouldn't, unless you'd like to be dealing with bumble foot. ducks and concrete and ducks and wire bottom cages are not goo for the cute little duckie feets

I have 14 Indian Runners that are are housed inside at night. I have a huge shed where I have created three seperate pens. On top of the concrete floor I have lino- then place pine shavings and hay on top of that. The hay lifts easily off the shavings- and I can almost kind of roll up the top layer of hay- remove the soiled areas of shavings- top them up and lay more hay again. Every second weekend I do a full cleanout removing all of the bedding- I give the lino a bit of a scrape to remove any stuck on bits- And its good to go again. I have a bucket of water in each pen and put no bedding around the buckets to try and stop it getting too messy. They are let out each day to wander the yard. Concrete alone would make things easier to clean - But it is very hard on their feet- Providing bedding of some kind would be nessecary to protect them from foot trouble and infections.

Back
Top Bottom