Ducks-on planes?

2Gerootheducky

Songster
Jan 21, 2019
Hello guys, I have a question. I have a Pekin and Muscovy duck, and I am wondering how I could transport them over long distances? Say, a 6 hour flight? I live in a high altitude city and woud lprbably we there for like 1-3 months. Would they be able to re-adapt to the altitude? Could they handle a flight? I would plan on taking them eith me in the cabin (probably first class so theres more room for them and I disturb less people). Say they are put in a cage with food and water not a problem. Would the engines, or the altitude be a problem? Thank you! (BTW one is already 2 years old and the other one is 1 year old.) (female and male)

Are you sure they aren’t going to want them in the cargo hold? I carried a dachshund puppy on a plane once but that was a tiny puppy in a dog kennel.

Well, I considered it but I'm a bit worried about the ducks and would like to be as close as possible. As for weather or not they'll want them on cargo hold, I hope to get some certificates or use some loophole in the system to take them. Again, money will hopefully not be an issue here.:jumpy

I would call the airline and ask if a duck is allowed as an in-cabin pet in a carrier under the seat. Dogs and cats can fly that way, for a fee. The last time I did that, it cost $125 each way. I was under the impression that poultry is not allowed, but I may be wrong. Let us know.

Each airline will have its own set of rules. Also you will need to check the regulations and have vet paperwork in order for the ducks on both ends of the trip if it is a different state/province/country as they will all have their own rules/customs regulations for transporting live poultry across their border. In terms of altitude I’m quite confident they can adapt to living at different altitudes, but there may be a period of time when they feel a bit off while they are acclimating.

Upon conducting some investigation, some airlines like American only allow cats and dogs. However, in most airlines there is a size limit for the pet. This may be a bit of an issue because as I said, they are 1-2 years old and may not meet the maximum height (20 cm for Avianca). Now, these ducks live with me in a city with 3,600 meters of altitude thats like 11,942 ft . So they are quite altitude accustomed ducks. Does anyone know any airlines that wouldn't have much of a legal issue with this? (I'm coming from latin america so there would probably be connections invovled.

Back
Top Bottom