Ducks or Chickens? Pros/Cons

chickens are easier in regards to watering... ducks drink a lot of water and will play in any they find.. cute .. yeah ... messy OH YEAH. this means changing out the water and cleaning the water containers everyday.. for me anyways. i went with the kiddie pool idea and they used it a lot for the first week then they stopped getting in.. dont know why though. im trying to sell them now
gig.gif

i like my chickens a lot better.. they are cleaner and friendlier..in my case.. not that ducks cant be friendly, ive heard they can be like dogs

Ducks are adorable and if you take into account the larger size of their eggs you will get more egg per bird than from some chickens. They are messy. They spill water all over everything and will even poop in their water dish. They have to be chased inside most nights. Tonight it was beginning to rain just before dark, the chickens were already inside and sitting on their roosts (even the new pullets), the ducks and geese thought that the rain was too much fun to miss out on and had to be chased in. They are both equally noisy. The hens are very vocal ( especially after laying an egg) and female ducks like to comment on everything. The chickens seem to be a little tamer. I suppose it is from feeding them treats. The come running when they see me leave the house to see if I have anything good to eat. The ducks hang back to see what is being offered. If it is something that they really like (peas, grapes, tomatoes, strawberries) they will come closer. Even though we don't get to hold them we enjoy watching duck tv. We free range all of our birds. Since yours will be more confined they will probably be a little tamer especially if you provide them with goodies. We can pick up most of the chickens without too much fuss. A couple of them will even fly up to our shoulder. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. I enjoy both ducks and chickens.

My ducks go to bed before my chickens
gig.gif

My production red will stay outside until it is pretty darn dark! She will also stay outside when it is POURING rain. I mean the kind of rain that soaks her to the skin. She is the only one that will.
tongue.png
I am having the opposite problem. My chickens are in their coop well before the ducks. They are very stand offish and won't come near us. granted we have only had them 2 days, but we have also only had 3 of our chickens the same amount of days, and they come to us and don't run! We can't get near the ducks without them running! takes two of us to get them in their coop. I believe their poop is a bit on the smelly side. Run didn't have an odor, now it does! On the bright side, they are beautiful, and entertaining to watch! I am not getting eggs out of either ducks and chickens as they are still too young! Still early to say which I would prefer! As far as pets, I would say the chickens are friendlier. Mine anyways, I think there is going to be a variance in opinions as no two chickens are exactly alike, or ducks!

The fact that no chickens or ducks are alike is DEFINATELY true. My ducks will follow me and love to be pet and fed (especially at the same time)! My chickens, however, want nothing to do with me. They run away when you get close to them and are just not friendly whatsoever. And my ducks make no mess at all really, but I do only have two. Their run floor is dirt covered in pine shavings and their food and water are outside. During the day, they are also allowed into a bigger area of the yard specifically for them. Still, no mess.

And my ducks make no mess at all really, but I do only have two. Their run floor is dirt covered in pine shavings and their food and water are outside. During the day, they are also allowed into a bigger area of the yard specifically for them. Still, no mess.
Lucky! Mine are big projectile pooing, hole drilling, steamroll everything alive and devour anything tasty no matter how pretty it might be mess-makers!
gig.gif

I love them so much though
love.gif

You also have to think about if you might EVER go away for an weekend, its almost impossible to do with ducks as they run out of nomatterhowmuchwateryougivethem before hand, as well as usually food. They are food hogs and just gobble it down it seems. Whereas chickens, you can put several BIG bowls of food and water and usually go away for even possibly two nights with not much worry, minimal loss and still find their water bowls only half gone, but the ducks have to have water EVERY day, they just cant resist playing in it till its filled with silt or totally empty.

I love my ducks and they make me laugh all the time, but they do make it awfully hard to get away if I cant find dependable help to make sure they are fed and watered daily.
What do u mean "minimal loss?

Back
Top Bottom