Ducks or geese?

BlueMoon

Songster
12 Years
Oct 3, 2007
Scenic Verbank, NY
Last year were chickens, this year, I'm ready to start with water fowl. We have three ponds, but no guarantees on running water during winter or drought.
What is needed to make them happy? Their own coop or will they share with chickens?

What are some benefits or downfalls of each?

Thanks for any guidance!

My grandpa used to have ducks and geese. The geese pooped more then ducks. I saw pics of ducks and chickens being raised toghether. Just be careful about the pond. Chickens cant swim

I would suggest geese. I have both geese and ducks, if you want more of a...."companion" (not like a dog, but friendly), go with a goose. Ducks, don't really bond with you, they'll always be a bit skittish. Also, in the winter you can use a kiddy pool for them, as long as they ALWAYS have a source of bathing water. They both do poop a lot. Do remember that.

Last edited:
Hey Blue,
I have both... That being said if you keep them penned in they are fine. They dont need a pond, just like to have them.. I use a bucket with a water heater during the winter but they will eat snow for water too. It is very funny watching them try to take a snow bath. I keep them in a large fenced in area most of the winter. I just put them in that barn a week ago because of some super cold weather we had. Not to mention the neighbors dogs scared them and they actually all few out of the pen. Geese leave BIG piles of POO!!! They are very easy keepers though. They will eat grass and weeds along with bugs too. The ducks will do the same. You will want to make sure you always have more hens then ganders or drakes. Otherwise you will have hens that will be run ragged or even have the chickens getting mounted by the ganders or drakes. I have a hen mescovey in with my chickens and they are fine. I also keep my turkeys in the same large run with the geese and ducks. The only ducks that I plan on keeping separate is my calls since they are so tiny. They are a blast to watch and very noisey when you are out near thier pens. I hope this helps a little. If you have any specific questions ask away. Jenn

I have both ..... Ducks each breed is diffrent Kacki campbells are skiddish but man do they lay eggs and for a long time. I have a 4 yr old hen that layed 300 eggs last yr.
runners well they run lol and are shy
Saxony Now that bunch are really friendly will let you pet them and eat out of your hand Rather slow if they need to be caught ( runners your really tired after catching them lol) And The tiny calls lol What can I say SASSY!!!!!!! They are full of opion and have no issue going after the bigger ducks if they feel they have been treated unfairly.
Now..... The GEESE are darling, Its all about balance with them, My Gander ( who weighs 35lbs) will sit near me and eat food that I put near my hand while feeding but will he stoop to the level of eatting out of my hand NOPE that is below him. He will tolerate being handled by my son who uses him as his 4h showmanship bird and will allow us to cuddle him at fairs and sit and let people pet him . Its his job and he knows it.
The Mess....... Here it isn't to bad very lil smell mostly in the spring when they snow melts off but once the ground drys u wouldnt even know i had ducks and geese! It helps we are all sand and they have a pen that is an acre big and are allowed to freerange 90% of the time except during breeding season which they are all penned by breed. I have a small pond and use baby pools and tubs for water and to keep it from freezing Ihave a birdbath heater in there tub and keep the hose trickling all winter in the pond.
Allie

one thing to know is that ducks and geese will take a nice looking green area of landscape and turn it into a very black muddy mess and yes cleaning pens is a chore that needs to be done often

Back
Top Bottom