Ducks or other waterfowl as pest control in cranberry bogs?? Need Help Brainstorming! :)

Here is a link about growing cranberries, step by step, for those of us who are under-informed and most likely misinformed about the process. I guess they are only flooded during harvest time (but can also be dry harvested), though they do have very high water requirements and must be kept moist in a very specific soil combination at a very specific PH. They also have pests/diseases that are specific to the plant. Their fertilizer needs are very dependent on the age of the plant and what stage of growth/production it is at. I found this link interesting. https://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Cranberries It sounds like they are more like strawberries than grapes, being a low growing plant that sends out runners, which will then produce fruit. If ducks should prove to be useful, I think I would go with a lightweight, calm bird like the Welsh Harlequin, who would be less likely to damage the plant trampling it, if indeed a duck would prove helpful for those insect pests specific to cranberries. Although one insect pest mentioned is a borer, that gets inside the fruit and eats it from the inside out. Not sure how much help a duck would be for that exactly.

Yay!! Love education/learning things we didnt know before!!

https://permaculturenews.org/2014/07/31/ducks-permaculture-system-scotland/
Heres another great one about ducks in permaculture! These guys are using ducks in a synchronicity with their garden and environment which is wonderful, and what id be looking to do (more or less)
i know a lot of people prob already do things similar to this with their ducks, you may be a permaculturist and not even know it ;):old:yesss:

Maybe you can train the ducks to eat the prematurely red berries. Apparently the borer affected berries turn red prematurely when infected with the pest borer larvae. You are supposed to pick off the prematurely red berries to keep them from hatching out another borer moth. These moths lay an egg directly into the berry itself, where it hatches and begins to eat... You would have to keep the ducks out as the healthy berries ripened, but by then you would be harvesting anyway...

Back
Top Bottom