Ducks out of Water

Chickens rock!mysocks

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 29, 2010
Oregon
I am thinking about getting some ducklings. I have a very large backyard that I already raise 11 chickens in. I would buy maybe 3 to 4 ducklings. I have no pond or anything for them either. What do you suggest for this situation? Should I buy ducks? Will the chickens be able to cooperate with them? Will they be happy without being able to swim?

Chickens rock!mysocks :

I am thinking about getting some ducklings. I have a very large backyard that I already raise 11 chickens in. I would buy maybe 3 to 4 ducklings. I have no pond or anything for them either. What do you suggest for this situation? Should I buy ducks? Will the chickens be able to cooperate with them? Will they be happy without being able to swim?

Ducks are fine with water, but do need a small container that they can put there heads in to clean out there beak. Although if you can get a small kid pool it would be perfect.​

Quote:
Ducks are fine with water, but do need a small container that they can put there heads in to clean out there beak. Although if you can get a small kid pool it would be perfect.

Great advice.
thumbsup.gif

b.hromada :

Quote:
Ducks are fine with water, but do need a small container that they can put there heads in to clean out there beak. Although if you can get a small kid pool it would be perfect.

Great advice.
thumbsup.gif

Aww thanks
tongue.png

My ducks do fine with the chickens. They push the GLW away from their food, but the meaties usually take over. And yes, as DuckLover said a small kiddie pool is fine. Although I do suggest a kiddie pool and a bucket for water. Kiddie pool for them to swim and make disgusting and a bucket just for fresh water.

When I first got my ducks, I didn't have a pond either. I bought them one of the plastic kiddy pools that DuckLover suggested, and they love it. I now have two pools while I dig their permanent pond. The pools are only about a foot deep, but it seams to be enough for them. They splash around all the time in them.
smile.png

Ducks don't need swimming water, but do need water deep enough to dunk their heads in.
But after you see a duck swimming in their "pond" you'll want to be able to provide something. Kiddie pools are still out around here. I ended up building them a pond.

Ducks are messy little suckers and LOVE whatever water they can find. So find a way to separate the duck water from the chicken water as well, the ducks are just going to play in it and make it a mess and tick off the chickens about the water.

we don't have a pond but use an old solid plastic paddling pool. if you can get hold of one you will need to make sure they can get in and out ok - so maybe put a slab next to it and possible one inside if the edges are high. We use this and a bucket of water for drinking (next to where their food is as ducks find it easier to digest their food if they drink at the same time).

I would say they should be fine with the chickens but speak to the person you get them from first about how long they need to stay in their new house and if needed seperate from the chickens before being introduced. My Dad and his neighbour both have chickens and his neighbour also has ducks and they all get on really well together - wondering around both gardens making full use of any insects they find.

Good luck with it. x x

My ducks love their 2 kiddy pools. The Mallards swim more, but the Pekins like to hang out around the pools and drink. I am surrounded by 23 acres of water, but after my Pekin duck, P!nk was taken by a snapping turtle, the ducks no longer care to swim in the ponds. They stay close to the house, like the fenced yard, and love their pools ($10 and $15).

While they are little, the ducks need a ramp in and out of a above ground pool.

Back
Top Bottom