Ducks; Pets Or Food Or Hobby

If Jynxster chooses not to eat meat for medical or moral reasons there's nothing at all wrong with that; provided you don't start hatching babies for fun and end up with more birds than you can handle because you can't eat them and can't find enough pet homes. You might want to start thinking now about how you'll "birth control" your flock
big_smile.png

Ducks make fantastic pets, I love their attitudes and antics.

However in defense of putting excess ducks in the freezer, those of us who do eat meat generally find it much more morally responsible to know our birds were raised on good healthy food, had every natural pleasure in life including companionship, sunshine, a place to swim, bugs fresh foraged from the dirt, and rainstorms. I take great care in ensuring that no animal suffers under my care. That means pain relief for recoverable injuries whenever possible, and an instant end when an injury is not recoverable, or when a bird has lived out its purpose. Our method is like turning off a light. There is no suffering or fear involved.
I find that when I raised my "meat", I and my children are a lot more reverent to the meal; being much more connected to everything that went into feeding us. We waste less and stretch it farther.

I got into ducks because 1.) I've always liked them, and 2.)I saw potential for a duck egg business. Like many young families we are struggling in the economy of the area we live while we work our way against the current trying to better our prospects. Anything our birds can put back on the table for us is a blessing. Mainly they are for eggs and enjoyment but we have done in excess males from bad luck on straight runs. Again, we're of a diet where we buy meat anyway and it's unrealistic to think I'm going to find "lifelong pet homes" for 3 or 10 male farm animals.

Last edited:
I keep my ducks as they are my pets. I just couldn't bring myself to raising ducks or any animals as food. I have taken in other animals from rescues, all are my precious pets. At one point I had 3 ducks, I just have the one now, as two have passed on. RIP Squeaky, Dexter.

Back
Top Bottom