Ducks; Pets Or Food Or Hobby

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jynxster, Dec 31, 2011.

1. jynxster

jynxster Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry But I Thought This Forum Was About Persons Who Love Their Pets; Thinking Now I Have A New Perspective Here. What Are Other Peoples Thougts On Thoughts? I Really Love Animals, Am A Vegitarian, And My Ducks Like My Dogs Are Lifelong Pets. I Get Great Pleasure Out Of Lovng And Caring For Gods Creatures.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I raise ducks for the joy they bring me, as pets, for a hobby and to show as well as preservation of the breed.
    There are members on here that raise poultry for food- that is one reason I stay away from the meat bird area of the forum some posts do end up in other areas- but I just dont bother reading them.
    I have cared for waterfowl for over 30 years now- I have had many disabled ducks and geese over the years and taken in many sick and abandoned animals. I currently have about 40 something ducks- ranging from just hatched yesterday to 4 and a half years old. Each one is so very special in its own way.

I have Ollie my disabled house duck, Stevie- Ray my blind girl, Flippy the duckling that hatched thiamine deficient, 6 new babies still just discovering there legs, " Baby Bloss" who will soon go back to live with her owners 2 hours away. I have been raising her as she hatched alone after her mother was sadly killed by a predator. I have a number of babies of various ages in the spare room including another thiamine deficient duckling I have been looking after for a friend. She has two of mine at the moment and when the little fellow is better we will swap them back over. I have a little girl here right now that I picked up recently from a friend. I had borrowed her for a while for breeding- taken her home- but then when my friend contacted me and said she was selling off most of her ducks- I arranged to go and buy her. She is such a sweet duck- sadly on the way to my friends house I was in a car accident- and the damage to my car is not repairable. I had fixed up that vehicle for transportation for my ducks and it will be sadly missed. She has no feathers down her neck- and back- her wings are shredded and she is the sorriest looking duck you can imagine seeing- but she is here at home with me now- my daughter even surprised me yesterday by bringing her inside he house for a visit. I have cried for the loss of my reliable trustworthy car and laughed that the sweet little girl has been the most expensive duck I have ever had.

I have spent $1000 on vet bills for a sick duckling a saw at a market. I bought him and took him straight to the vet, and nursed him for the 5 months it took to cure him. I have slept outside on the ground with a sick goose in the middle of winter with just a hessian sack to keep us warm. I have stayed up all night when I have ducklings hatching that need help and cried a million tears when they have left me. I have felt incredible pride when awarded trophies for Champion waterfowl at poultry shows.

I have never eaten any kind of waterfowl- nor could I ever. I have never even eaten one of my own duck eggs although I have eaten them from other ducks. I am not a vegetarian -but I have the greatest respect for animals and believe they all deserve the right to be treated decently.

Everyone has - and is entitled to their own opinion. Had I not so deeply loved and felt connected to ducks- I would have stopped keeping them many years ago. They are alot of work- smelly and poop so much, cost a small fortune to feed and take up so much of my time when I am not at work. But If I ever had to give up keeping ducks- my life will no longer be worth living. They are what gets me out of bed in the morning- and why at night when I go to sleep I look forward to the next day. They fill my day with joy and laughter- just watching their funny antics, and being with them relaxes me.

Well...there are some of my thoughts put into words. I guess you can tell that I am very passionate about ducks. [​IMG]

3. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    I raise ducks for hobby/food. They have incredible utility, but I find great pleasure in keeping them.

4. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Mostly, mine are for hobby purposes. For the past few years, I haven't been able to think of my poultry the same way as I did when I was little and I would name all of them. I now consider them mostly livestock. None of my birds have names. I do consider them pets, though. I don't raise mine specifically for meat, but I will butcher one on occasion.

5. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    I'm a vegetarian and my ducks are my life! They're what makes me the way that I am and I would die to save their lives, you can call me crazy but I don't care, my ducks are like my children and I would do absolutely anything for them! They're my babies and they mean the world to me! I also feel so proud of my babies when I take them to shows and win champion waterfowl or whatever, I love them and just the thought of eating them makes me cry.

6. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Mine are pets mostly, eggs second. Although I won't tolerate meanness, bullying, feather picking, etc. I won't rehome a mean bird and pass my problem off to someone else either, so meanies are culled.

7. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Pretty much the same for me. I got them for the eggs but I love them as pets. I did have a mean drake that ended up dinner with no tears from me. Another I rehomed that wasn't mean but still caused little problems with my other drake. I wouldn't feel good about sending a mean animal to someone else. I don't personally find it worth it to raise for meat as the job is unpleasant but I respect those who do.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Pets, food, hobby - all three work for me. Whatever a person chooses to do with their ducks (as long as it's not abusive) is their personal choice and right.

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Pets. I've been a vegetarian my entire life and don't plan on changing that.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by