Ducks, pond and snapping turtles question

turtles will eat anythng they can or thik they can git in there mouths buit turtles aregentle giants and sweet but when it comes to them eating our stock then u should relocate them to a big lake or pond
wink.png

Hi Frank, I recently saw that technique of picking up a snapper on the show Dirty Jobs when Mike Rowe had to pick a snapper up. It worked well, but they could see the turtles easily where they were (in a zoo, I think). Do you know much about snappers? Where do they usually hang out? Could I easliy (and accidentally) step on one and have a toe or two removed?
fl.gif

I don't dislike snappers for who they are, I'm just not sure I'd feel comfortable swimming in the pond (and I wanna! ) and I was hoping for some ducks and fish eventually.

Relocation is what I prefer, but you are correct in saying that removing the existing ones won't necessarily solve the problem since new ones can appear any time.

What a condundrum.
hu.gif

Thanks, everyone else too, for your suggestions and input.

Avrilon

Well Good Gracious! By all means please do not kill the poor turtles! They are just doing what comes natural! I agree, if you drain the pond, they will move on out, but there is always that chance that they will find their way back. If the pond has plenty of fish in it, you probably wont have much to worry about. Those turtles play a vital role in the ecosystem, so killing them will throw everything off. If needed be, put up a short fence all around the pond that the turtles cant climb or get past. That will keep them out and keep your animals safe. You can make it look nice by planting a climbing plant along it too. A lot better than killing the turtles if you ask me.

ALSO: Feeling along the bottom to find the turtles doesnt seem to smart. What if you accidentally feel the HEAD. You will definitely lose a couple of fingers. Best to drain it down and visually find the turtles before going after them.

Last edited:
Hi theOEGBman - I'm not a killer of critters. Well, except for mosquitoes, biting ants, fleas and roaches... and okay... flies too if we're counting. And those only because they cause so many problems. Hey, I don't even kill spiders unless they could cause me harm (like the black widows I used to see as a child). Point is, I don't want to kill the turtles. But then some people have told me they'd love to eat them, so would that be bad if they were killed for that? I'm not a meat eater, but if a meat eater eats cows and pigs and chickens, etc., what's the difference between them and turtles? I find it all distasteful and would rather just let the turtles be (along with the cows and pigs and chickens, etc.), but that will inhibit some of the things I want to do with my pond.
roll.png
Not sure about the fence idea... since it would get quite expensive going all the way around. But it's a thought! Anyway, thank you for your input. I know the snapper is just being who he is and I appreciate that. I love animals and wish they weren't treated with such little respect and kindness in this world. But don't get me going on that!

Avrilon

Last edited:
Here's a few things to think about before deciding to relocate problem turtles:
Moving anything from one body of water to another like that is not as simple an idea as it seems. Please be careful if you do this. The first thing that comes to my mind is how many problem weeds have been started in new lakes by unsuspecting fishermen and the millions of dollars spent trying to eradicate them.
I would hesitate to start restocking turtles or any other animal into a body of water unless it was on my own property without the permission of either the owner or of the local fisheries commission. I bet if you call them, they will tell you not to. I do know for a fact snapping turtles are a huge nuisance and if someone dumped a bunch of their problem turtles in my backyard I would not appreciate it one bit!
Just something else to think about before you find alternative means of dealing with your problem by dumping it on someone else.

Quote:
That is great! I dont kill spiders either, not even Black Widows. I cant, because its not their fault that they are capable of killing people. I eat meat, there is not getting around that. I just hate the way it is processed. We used to raise our own until my grandpa died. I mean, if the turtle was killed humanely, I dont see how its any different than a cow or pig. (Saying that makes me sick though, because even though I love all animals, Reptiles have a special place in my heart) But, are Snappers Endangered? I found that the Alligator Snapper is Endangered in Illinois, but Im not sure where else. Its illegal to kill Endangered Species though, and Im sure eating them would be out of the picture too. You might want to find out before you do that. Also, if the place you are relocating them to has Snappers already, I dont see what the problem is. It's just frustrating when a person suggests killing something so quickly. Most people bug the freakin heck out of me, but I sure dont suggest killing them!
barnie.gif

Snapping turtles aren't endangered. Not the garden variety ones, maybe the alligator snappers.

Too bad my pond isn't built yet. I would love to stock my pond with snappers.

I do not care for ducks and I could harvest 1 or 2 turtles a year for some fried turtle and turtle soup.

My local newspaper has a 'Absolutely Free' section of the classifieds. Costs nothing to put an ad in. Try putting an ad for free snappers. Someone will bite. Given slightly different circumstances I would have jumped all over it. I can't be the only crazy one who wants a pond stocked with them...

Thanks for the continued input!

Just fyi... our pond is man-made and I've read that the snappers can burrow into the dam and cause big problems. That's one of my concerns. So it seems we either have to move them or kill them - or not use the pond as we'd like.
idunno.gif
I would never move them to an individual's land or pond. There is a very large public lake that I was thinking about.

Thanks, Boilerjoe, for the suggestion for an ad. I think one of our neighbors showed an interest already, so that might help.

Avrilon

Hi,
Regarding your turtle. Please make friends with the turtles. Figure out the time of day it comes out to snap or eat bugs. and provide some turtle food, he or she has to get used to you. Ducks and turtles can hold their own. They will not eat each other, and a large turtle--what an amazing work of Art that is...

Please note, you really can train the turtle to not be scared of you so that it snaps.

I do hope you develop a relationship with the turtle, as the two of you can be so happy together.

Thanks.
Louisa

P. S I would love to visit and meet your large turtle someday.

Hi,
Regarding your turtle. Please make friends with the turtles. Figure out the time of day it comes out to snap or eat bugs. and provide some turtle food, he or she has to get used to you. Ducks and turtles can hold their own. They will not eat each other, and a large turtle--what an amazing work of Art that is...

Please note, you really can train the turtle to not be scared of you so that it snaps.

I do hope you develop a relationship with the turtle, as the two of you can be so happy together.

Thanks.
Louisa

P. S I would love to visit and meet your large turtle someday.
welcome-byc.gif
I love wildlife of all kinds but you need to read this... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/798411/snapping-turtle-attack and this is just one of many that have been posted over the years since I have been on BYC<

Back
Top Bottom