ducks survived first super cold night ! woot woot :)

Our ducks seem to be much more cold tolerant than our chickens. It helps that they're a little fat! We had water in the pools down to 34 degrees out (because we don't want the expanding ice to break the plastic pools when it freezes) and they were swimming in those pools up until then without a problem... now, our ducks 'hate' wind, so they hide out in the woods behind or next to - depending on the wind direction - a fallen log. Fortunately we've had no cases of frostbite in the few years we've had ducks, although the chickens are getting it already and it hasn't even dropped below 20. :/

Our ducks seem to be much more cold tolerant than our chickens. It helps that they're a little fat! We had water in the pools down to 34 degrees out (because we don't want the expanding ice to break the plastic pools when it freezes) and they were swimming in those pools up until then without a problem... now, our ducks 'hate' wind, so they hide out in the woods behind or next to - depending on the wind direction - a fallen log. Fortunately we've had no cases of frostbite in the few years we've had ducks, although the chickens are getting it already and it hasn't even dropped below 20. :/
Yes, ducks are much more cold tolerant due to their extra down and fat!
big_smile.png

I didnt know chickens could get frost bite lol.I have a feeling mine would dive in any un frozen water lol. they love any amount of water any time hahaha. I just recently drained or little pond and every day they go and quack at it as if that were going to magically make water appear :p

I didnt know chickens could get frost bite lol.I have a feeling mine would dive in any un frozen water lol. they love any amount of water any time hahaha. I just recently drained or little pond and every day they go and quack at it as if that were going to magically make water appear :p
That's so funny!!! Their probably trying to tell you something...
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom