Ducks & Temp changes in winter

Mine are all adults (7 Anconas), but we're expected to get to -3 F on Monday night.  They have a duck house they go into (4x3 and 3.5 ft tall), and it has shavings in it.  So far everything has gone well, even the water issues.  

Will I need to bring them into the garage when it gets this cold???  Their duck house is closed up at night, it has a bit of hardware cloth going around the south side of the bottom, and the roof is normally open about an inch or two for ventilation.  I've put shavings in, tho, now since it's cold, and have covered a bit of the bottom ventilation area.  It can still breathe, but stiff winds can't get in.

Do I need to do anything different???

Thanks, this is my first winter with them too.  

Sue

Brrr! I'm a rookie who spoils her ducks. I'd bring them in!

I bought a wireless remote thermometer for ten dollars at Walmart and I keep the sensor in the duck house. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the duck house was still in the forties F when the outside temp dropped to the low twenties. We are not as cold as the rest of you but knowing the actual temperature they are dealing with makes me feel better.

I bought a wireless remote thermometer for ten dollars at Walmart and I keep the sensor in the duck house. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the duck house was still in the forties F when the outside temp dropped to the low twenties. We are not as cold as the rest of you but knowing the actual temperature they are dealing with makes me feel better.

That's a great idea! Thank you!

My ducks are so spoiled. The feels like temp is around 14 tonight (coldest yet for them) so I brought them into the garage into their old pack n play set up. It's a little foreign to them (which I hate) but it's so cold out there. They fell asleep when we picked them up kind of cold. Just hoping they can get over the foreign environment and sleep! :/

A butt ton of fluffy straw!
thumbsup.gif

Just chiming in on the winter cold issue. My WH ducks seem to love it. The other am we had 22f and wind chill down to 7f, dem ducks was swimming, splashing and flapping. Today they are partying in freezing rain.
Better them than me.

Just chiming in on the winter cold issue. My WH ducks seem to love it. The other am we had 22f and wind chill down to 7f, dem ducks was swimming, splashing and flapping. Today they are partying in freezing rain.
Better them than me.

Brrrr! Haha! Mine love water and try to get in the frozen pool (which has since been "closed for the season")

It was -10 here the other day (no wind chill) and they were outside just hanging around in the snow. I would keep an eye on them however in those temps, watch their feet for any signs of potential frostbite.

Honestly the only thing I worry about is their feet. They seem not to feel the cold on the rest of their bodies... I should buy them some slippers. :)

Back
Top Bottom