Ducks that are the best pets (with poll)

Best pets when you have close neighbors?

• Mallard/white mallard

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Buff

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Indian runner

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Ally Rose

Songster
7 Years
May 7, 2012
NJ
what are some ducks that make the best pets? Take the poll and if you have any other breed suggestions list them in this forum and tell me the pros/cons. Thanks!!

I am open to any breed. Wild or domestic. I just want to hear opinions to help me decide.

So far the only expereince I have is with Pekin, mallards, and a mixed breed. My Jumbo Pekin/Mix duckling is more tame than the others but its also because I hatched her/him and spent alot more one on one time with him/her. ( lol I still dont know if its a boy or girl). My pekin and mallards are pretty stand offish unless I have treats.

The only one ive had experience with out of those as pets are buffs. I didnt like mine. It depends on the breed, of course, to a certain extent.... But its important to ask the breeder which they think is best suited. One Breeders flock can be a world different from the next breeders flock. It depends on how selective they are.

It also depends on what you are looking for in a pet. Ducks don't like being petted or picked up, but are fun to watch and don't have objections to you hanging out with them while they do their ducky things. If you want a duck to be okay with handling you are going to have to spend A LOT of time and probably will only want one or two ducks.

My Welsh Harlequins are beautiful and fairly quiet for ducks. They are a joy to watch, and will come quite close to you when you have food . . .

For awhile we had one pekin, and he was pretty calm and friendly, as well as being easy to catch because he was larger.

^^ definitely true. The only place my duck will let me pet him is the back base of his neck... And you can tell he doesnt like it and is just letting me do it to please ME. Lol. And i spend 24/7.... Literally... With him.... From the time he broke out of his egg. I hear geese like petting? Cant vouch for that, though.

Buff
smile.png

So far the only expereince I have is with Pekin, mallards, and a mixed breed. My Jumbo Pekin/Mix duckling is more tame than the others but its also because I hatched her/him and spent alot more one on one time with him/her. ( lol I still dont know if its a boy or girl). My pekin and mallards are pretty stand offish unless I have treats.
Yeah I wasnt worried about them not being friendly because im hatching mine so they have to love me!! PS does anyone know if mallards will still have that scaredy cat instinct even if i hatch them?

Back
Top Bottom